Diesel particulate filter - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-06-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 154 Times in 110 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Diesel particulate filter

Does anyone know how long these last. They are supposed to regenerate i.e burn out when the the differential pressure increases, but how many times can they do this before they are stuffed and how expensive are they to replace?
Old 18-06-2009
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

not directly on your question, but...
Had a very interesting chat to my mechanic yesterday about the price of oil. He had charged us $170 for 9 litres of oil which I mentioned that I thought was a bit steep, given that I can buy 10 litres of stuff with commander approved viscosity (and full synthetic) at repco for $100 (Castrol Edge).
He said that Jeep, and some other vehicle manufacturers, in combination with certain oil companies are now saying that on vehicles with particulate filters, if you don't use this super duper new grade of oil, that your particulate filter will become prematurely blocked and apparently they cost a fortune to replace. Interestingly, our local jeep dealer are still, apparently, using the older grade of oil in jeeps they service. The older oils still meet the requirements specified in your service book, but not this new direction.
My mechanic says that, unless I order him otherwise, he has to use the more expensive oil, or else he can be liable if he regularly services a car and the particulate filter becomes blocked.
He said that, if I was planning on keeping the car for a long time then its probably better to use the more expensive oil.
Anyway, thought you might all be interested in this - particularly those of you who get your jeeps serviced at Jeep dealers.
Old 18-06-2009
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is correct - I have a JK and queried this very topic this week with my dealer - who happily as usual is on the ball - the Auto JK has a particulate filter and must run 5w-30 ESP (stands for Emissions System Protection) and the manual does not have a particulate filter so that can run normal 5w-30 or 0W-40
Old 19-06-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts

The DPF regenerates when needed if the car drives at around 80k/h or higher for about 15 minutes, under these circumstances they should last 100,000k. If you do a lot of city driving and thus don't get the 80k/h driving enough then they can clog and need to be regenerated in a workshop (not sure how this done), I believe this regeneration can only be done a few times.

What I am having trouble working out is how the Oil affects a component that is 1/3 of the way along your exhaust system?
Old 06-10-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammy jeep View Post
not directly on your question, but...
Had a very interesting chat to my mechanic yesterday about the price of oil. He had charged us $170 for 9 litres of oil which I mentioned that I thought was a bit steep, given that I can buy 10 litres of stuff with commander approved viscosity (and full synthetic) at repco for $100 (Castrol Edge).
He said that Jeep, and some other vehicle manufacturers, in combination with certain oil companies are now saying that on vehicles with particulate filters, if you don't use this super duper new grade of oil, that your particulate filter will become prematurely blocked and apparently they cost a fortune to replace. Interestingly, our local jeep dealer are still, apparently, using the older grade of oil in jeeps they service. The older oils still meet the requirements specified in your service book, but not this new direction.
My mechanic says that, unless I order him otherwise, he has to use the more expensive oil, or else he can be liable if he regularly services a car and the particulate filter becomes blocked.
He said that, if I was planning on keeping the car for a long time then its probably better to use the more expensive oil.
Anyway, thought you might all be interested in this - particularly those of you who get your jeeps serviced at Jeep dealers.

For this very reason I supply my own oil that meets the spec for the particulate filter.
RuffStuff Diff Cover
Jeep Skids
Old 08-10-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

I was searching the web trying to find a cheap supplier of the engine oil a few months ago and came across this site.
http://store.europarts-sd.com/engine...2007-2009.aspx

MFG: Exxon/Mobil Oil
Sprinter II 2007-2009
This is the exact same oil sold by Dodge, Freightliner & Mercedes Benz dealers

This oil is under half the price we pay for it here in Oz. We're being ripped off by the oil companies. Also check out the price of the filters, once again we're being ripped off by the dealers as well. Pitty we can't do a bulk buy, then i would change the oil myself.
Old 10-12-2009
CrawlerStar

Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts
Default Exhaust pipe crack

I've been listening to a rattle on start up for the last week, I got under the vehicle today and found a broken pipe off the rear of the catalytic converter (is that what it is?) refer photo. This pipe runs up the side of the exhaust to the back of the engine, where does it go? (can't see at this stage) what's not operating correctly if it's disconnected? I will try and get a replacement pipe tomorrow.

Post New Thread  Reply