CJ7: Dan's 1984 rebuild project - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-04-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default CJ7: Dan's 1984 rebuild project

Another CJ project is underway.

The plan for this build is to keep it as original as possible with some upgrades to improve power and comfort. First plan is to do a 4.0 head swap with MPI replace transmission with NV3550 or AX15 and keep the D300 and axles with new suspension. Then put it back together with all new interior and a soft top. I'm going to get all the old bits repainted/powder-coated and replace anything that is worn or broken. New wiring harnesses and if I'm lucky I'll get cruise control added as well.

Anyone with any tips would be very welcome.

Made some great progress over the long weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4180281.jpg
Views:	1644
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	47241   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4220340.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	47242   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4250405.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	47243  
Old 26-04-2011
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts

Fast work Dan. How long do you plan to work on it? Interested what paint code you have on your compliance plate. Is it 1E?
Old 26-04-2011
CrawlerStar

The paint is 3K - Cinnamon metallic I believe it's called. The paint on the outside of the body has been resprayed to this darker colour. I haven't seen many the same colour.

The plan is to keep working on it when time and cash permits. It's a spare time project as it's not a vehicle I need to use. I'm going to be shopping for heads and intakes and trannys so I think that may take some time.
Old 26-04-2011
AJOR Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-cj7 View Post
The paint is 3K - Cinnamon metallic I believe it's called. The paint on the outside of the body has been resprayed to this darker colour. I haven't seen many the same colour.

The plan is to keep working on it when time and cash permits. It's a spare time project as it's not a vehicle I need to use. I'm going to be shopping for heads and intakes and trannys so I think that may take some time.
Yeah your roll bar looks like Cinnamon Metallic - 3K [some sources say was a clearcoat finish, which may explain the need for the respray] but your Body exterior looks like Copper Brown Metallic-1E [same as mine] but it was not an '84 colour. What are you gonna go for?
Old 27-04-2011
CrawlerStar

I'm in two minds about the colour right now. As I am not trying to restore it to 100% original I may forgive myself if I change it to something I like better.
Old 01-05-2011
CrawlerStar

Has anyone ever tried to do a tie rod flip on a CJ? I was looking at it and the steering stabilizer is hitting the diff. If I flipped the tie rods to the top it would clear the diff and get the steering tucked up a bit higher.

Anyone have any pro's or con's?

Also a pic of where I'm at with the tear down. I'm now going to sort out suspension and if I need to do any welding or cutting on the frame. Otherwise the frame will be almost ready for the sandblaster. Before that I will have to do a bit more research on frame paint. Overall the frame is in great condition. WA sand and dirt everywhere but I should be able to clean it up nice. The good news is there isn't any visible rust.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4300452.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	47377   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4300453.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	47378   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4300447.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	47379  
Old 01-05-2011
AJOR Gold

Hey Dan I'm planning to and I'd be keen to know of any cons too... In the first pic it looks like your steering stabiliser is longer than stock or stabiliser was extended out too far when attached. If the wheels are straight ahead I would expect to see the stabiliser bracket located 2-3 inches more towards the left wheel. Your wheels might well be turned but can't tell. If you flip you'll need something like these inserts as you probably already know... http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm