CV JOINT Repacement 2007 WH - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2012
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 243 Times in 129 Posts

Hey Multihull,

They have great reports in the US, these are used in the pre runner race trucks etc. Im hoping to grab a set later this year, if funds allow. Then ill let you know for sure! Did my last CV change in 28mins . But i have air tools as well.

Another mob is Paramount performance, they do 1000hp sets for the srt8 guys.
Old 04-06-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpacer View Post
Hey Multihull,

They have great reports in the US, these are used in the pre runner race trucks etc. Im hoping to grab a set later this year, if funds allow. Then ill let you know for sure! Did my last CV change in 28mins . But i have air tools as well.

Another mob is Paramount performance, they do 1000hp sets for the srt8 guys.
Maybe we could order a set of these CV's at the same time and save a few buck. Send me a PM a few weeks before your planning to order.

28 minutes, WOW in takes me 10 minutes just to set up for the job and drag all the tools out etc. That's bloody good! I use air tools and a good rattle gun for the ball joint nuts, it works a treat.

I always have a problem with the R/H side because the diff stub axle wants to come out with the CV this means it's hard to manuaver the CV past the strut so I have to carefully pry the strut forward with a piece of rope and a few scout knots. Hopefully I've now fixed the issue so the C clip holds the diff stub axle in place for the next time.
Old 04-06-2012
RubiconSlammer

Yeah I just pull it out with the CV, hold the strut out of the way. Lets me check its wear pattern as well.

Only problem now is that the trolley jack is too short with the new lift. Hmmm might be time for a hoist in the shed .

Definitely let you know when i order. I did email them last time i looked at CV's, and we worked out i'll probably order a new set from rockauto and have it sent to them, and have them match the dimensions from that, then send those over with the others.

Dave
Old 15-01-2013
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

A question to you guys, which side did you replace more often?

I recently did my front passenger side CV (you probably already know) and replaced the half shaft with the Cardone one from RA just to get me out of trouble for the time being as they ship fast. It's not a hard job at all, took about an hour including setting up tools and packing and cleaning up as well.

I'm in the process of buying a spare OEM one and wanted to know if the drivers side fails as often so I can get one for both sides. I guess it depends how the car is driven and which CV takes the majority of stress first. Is it just as easy to replace considering it is inserted in the stub housing of the diff?

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 15-01-2013
RubiconSlammer

Both the same

Just as easy on each side. I had it down to 28 minutes from first jack to back on the ground. But not anymore!
Old 15-01-2013
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 158 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpacer View Post
Both the same

Just as easy on each side. I had it down to 28 minutes from first jack to back on the ground. But not anymore!
Plus half an hour packing everything up, hahaha. But not anymore... Yeah, rub it in mate, lol. I saw those tough bastards of yours. Would they put more strain onto your diff and transfer case? I was told CV's were made in such a way that they'd break first before a diff or transfer case, same with drive shafts. How true is that?

Are you planning replacing the chain on the transfer case after seeing what Multihull went through?

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/Hemi4WD
Facebook: http://goo.gl/85r51x
Old 20-01-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts

I've replaced the Drivers side 3 time and the Passenger only once.