Fitting of remote head radio - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-10-2008
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Fitting of remote head radio

I've been doing my research, but there seems little advice on offer. Is it really so obvious that no advice is needed? What are the best options for fitting a UHF radio (Uniden uh015sx) with remote head to a JK?

1. Antenna - not an issue - have a bull bar.
2. Firewall - How do I get the cable through the firewall ?
3. Main unit - what's the easiest place to hide the main unit, whilst still being able to hear the speaker?
4. Remote head - best place to locate?
5. Power - just piggy back off power outlet on console?
6. Remote speaker - I also have a remote speaker which may be an option. Is there a convenient place to mount this, and if so, is there then a better place to put the main unit?
Old 15-10-2008
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhillman View Post
I've been doing my research, but there seems little advice on offer. Is it really so obvious that no advice is needed? What are the best options for fitting a UHF radio (Uniden uh015sx) with remote head to a JK?

3. Main unit - what's the easiest place to hide the main unit, whilst still being able to hear the speaker?
6. Remote speaker - I also have a remote speaker which may be an option. Is there a convenient place to mount this, and if so, is there then a better place to put the main unit?
1. tick
2. There are a number of options thru the firewall. Up near the battery tray (looking from under the jeep) is a large rubber boot. (search for radio fitting as there are a number of threads)
3. I fitted mine under the passenger seat as there are some bars on the seat itself that you can screw straight on to. It up off the floor.
4. I have mine fitted on the panel at the bottom of the centre console. It misses the manual gearlever.
5. Piggy back off the cig lighter or direct wire back to battery(see other threads on radio fitting)
6. I have mine fitted to the back on my DVD bracket that fits over the centre console lid.
Search as the threads are long and plentiful

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=81135
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=80282
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=79785
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=78819

Last edited by aussiebulldust; 15-10-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 16-10-2008
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 126 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhillman View Post

I have a GME TX 3440 with all the controls in the mike as there isn't much room for anything else

1. I have my aerial on the left tab on ARB bar
2.I ran my cable thru the rhs there is a hole for the clutch to go thru (I have an auto)
3.Under drivers seat there is a rib on the floor I screwed it down to this and the speaker points up so you can hear ok
4.I ran the wirring under the seat and thru the side of the console it comes out at the top near the lid and I but the clip near the handbrake
5.I already had a lead running from the battery thru hole in the firewall to back of car where I fitted a plug in the sub box so I spliced into this
6.Don't need it
Old 16-10-2008
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I ran mine on the RHS there's a soft bit of cover there and have the main unit strapped under the driver's seat and the head just in front of the console lid came up through the hand brake with the wire's. Works a treat.
Old 16-10-2008
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have that model and I put the remote head In centre above rear mirror and the control unit on passenger side up against the left side just before door.

Post New Thread  Reply