Problems with Ironman Lift, 2014 WK2 - Page 17 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 14-12-2021
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noone606 View Post
I take it your referring to the aftermarket ones
stock require dropping axles/hubs dont they?

was going to try just pulling axles and top balljoint hopefully that lets things drop enough to avoid having to do the hub nut
The Ironman struts, the strut can be dismantled from the yoke, if replacing OE struts with Ironman you just cut one arm of the OE yoke with a disc, but fitting does really need another person as you don't have enough hands/feet, if replacing the OE with some other struts you will have to pull the hub unless your new strut is in 2 pieces, you miss by only a small amount and its far easier to pop the hub than to try and force the issue, CV's do not like force in the wrong direction................. Of course the upper ball joint does need to be popped, if its the first time give the thread of the upper ball joint a good hit with a wire brush, preferably on a drill to clear any lock tite coating applied, trust me it saves lots of trauma..............

Whatever type of strut your using lift the front end and have jack stands under so its all up at once...

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 14-12-2021
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
The Ironman struts, the strut can be dismantled from the yoke, if replacing OE struts with Ironman you just cut one arm of the OE yoke with a disc, but fitting does really need another person as you don't have enough hands/feet, if replacing the OE with some other struts you will have to pull the hub unless your new strut is in 2 pieces, you miss by only a small amount and its far easier to pop the hub than to try and force the issue, CV's do not like force in the wrong direction................. Of course the upper ball joint does need to be popped, if its the first time give the thread of the upper ball joint a good hit with a wire brush, preferably on a drill to clear any lock tite coating applied, trust me it saves lots of trauma..............

Whatever type of strut your using lift the front end and have jack stands under so its all up at once...
Didnt think about cutting that actually could work
figured if i pulled the axle could avoid cracking the 'single use' hub nut
might just wait till i can use a hoist and have extra assistance
Old 02-06-2023
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das View Post
Actually no. A diesel. When I brought the lift kit Ironman just talked about the front shocks being up to 50 kg even though I had the diesel. I had nothing other than tow hooks at that stage. I had the reverse problem that Bulldog had who stated this thread. Now Ive added weight I’m worried it’ll start to sag.

Signature to be updated!
Has anyone not had issues with these kits
Particularly diesel owners with bullbars etc
Mine are back to stock height after 12 months and I'm being offered replacements under warranty but hardly seems worth it if they will fail that quickly again

In addition they topped out badly, over even a speedhump, initially
Again i was offered replacements, after much argument from ironman locally, but really the problem seems to be a total mismatch between the coils and the struts
I went the heavy duty on the front due to a steel bar and hadn't even fitted a winch yet and really unsure if this setup could even deal with that considering how poorly its faired thus far

Seriously considering trying something else entirely

Last edited by noone606; 02-06-2023 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Additional info and clarity
Old 02-06-2023
AJOR Bronze

Liked 1,248 Times in 855 Posts

I had to replace my original Ironman springs with constant load ones. The previous ones sagged with the weight of the bullbar and winch. I wasn't impressed but there wasn't much I could do as they were on my vehicle when I bought it.

I've been so unipresssd with the ironman lift and I'll never recommend it to anyone. One of the struts is leaking now so I'll have them changed out soon. I think I'll just get them replaced with Pedders ones.

MY15 WK2 GC Limited 3.0L. Ironman lift, bullbar & winch. Uneek rack & sliders
Old 02-06-2023
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,318 Posts

Ive had the springs replaced after about 50K km, replacements holding well and shocks are okay, if they do sag again I will get a set of Kings springs from Supercheap as free delivery and heaps cheaper than elsewhere.... I think after putting mine over the scales that a steel bull bar with winch on these things would put the vehicle well over on the axle loading as I am with an alloy bar which may account for spring sag with Ironman and others..... I would never use Pedders but I have always liked OME but they priced themselves away from my wallet, have found Kings to be good but these WK2's are heavy suckers on the front.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 03-06-2023
I just registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
Ive had the springs replaced after about 50K km, replacements holding well and shocks are okay
50k seems really bad for springs
I'm amazed you rate the shocks i find they top out badly feels like they will actually damage the car they hit so hard on extension when driving off anything at all even a speed hump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
I've been so unipresssd with the ironman lift and I'll never recommend it to anyone. One of the struts is leaking now so I'll have them changed out soon. I think I'll just get them replaced with Pedders ones.
Couldn't agree more really !
Would certainly never recommend them
What springs did you end up going for?
Was going to have a chat with Dobinsons Monday
Old 03-06-2023
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 832 Times in 467 Posts

Put OME 2.5 inch std weight lift in my 2010 WH GC diesel.From brand new the rebound damping was terrible ! The springs were so hard it corners like a sports car.Some springs are wound hot others cold ,probably why some collapse some do not. Terrible on corrugations! Who ever engineers some of this gear they are not an engineers a………..le! I reckon progressive rate springs plus much better shocks would be the way to go.Maybe!
Post New Thread  Reply