Stop JK door water leak - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-04-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Default Stop JK door water leak

As many or maybe most JK owners know you get water leaking through the roof and or maybe the doors. When it rains my carpet gets wet and I finally solved the problem. I drove the car out of the Garage last week during a heavy thunder storm here in Brisbane. I had a torch and searched where the leak was coming from. I knew it was near the front edge of the doors and upon closer inspection I could see water trickling down from the top front corner then running down the frame onto the sill and then tracking onto the floor.
I then drove back into the garage and checked out the issue from the outside. It turns out water runs off the roof, along the front rubber seal for the split removable roof which works like a gutter and then down into the front top corner of the front doors.
All I need to do is make a deflector so the water wouldn't return back inside the gap of the door then down through this bad design of door seal in the top corner.
Next was to get some thin rubber and fix this to the top corner to deflect this water.

An old bicycle inner tube and some black soft flexible sealant - Sikaflex-Pro (Highly flexible Polyurethane)
It's was a very easy and cheap fix, total cost $00.00
It may look a little unprofessional but one the sealant had cured I trimmed back the rubber with scissors and you don't even notice the rubber deflector unless I told you about it.
The only draw back is if I want to remove my roof I will have to break the seal and redo it when the top goes back on. I never take my roof off.

Here's a few photos if you don't follow my description.

Last edited by multihull; 04-04-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-04-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 172 Times in 124 Posts

Multihull I wonder if you could glue the deflector directly to the door rubber so for us that do take roof off can do this mod......this does happen to mine and it really s**ts me.
Old 04-04-2016
Full Flexer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Multihull I wonder if you could glue the deflector directly to the door rubber so for us that do take roof off can do this mod......this does happen to mine and it really s**ts me.
It may work however if it glued to the car pillar & roof section there's no chance of any capillary action of the water flowing or being drag/sucked behind the deflector.
It's not a big thing to reapplying some more flexy Sika behind a piece of rubber. How often do you go topless each year 4 or maybe 6 times?
Old 04-04-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 186 Times in 124 Posts

Might have to give this ago next week as that leak pisses me off in a big way (especially when it drips right onto the door handles lol)
Old 04-04-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 51 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I occasionally experience water ingress in this area also, but only after long periods of consistent rainfall.
With the JK being parked at a slight camber to the passenger side water can lie on this corner & seep its way in & drops down near the small speaker.
Usually spread silicone grease along header seal (as water can soak behind that) & around that corner entry point mentioned, which helps a lot.
Fortunately its only ever a few drops & I keep some folded kitchen paper there to mop it up or spread out when its bucketing down

Interesting solution & something to keep in mind.
Old 04-04-2016
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I dont mind the leak as it reminds me i have a jeep, sorry i have to say it
ITS A JEEP THING………………
Old 04-04-2016
Full Flexer

Bewared my cheap fix won't stop the roof leaks or the leaks from the front air grill etc...
I did find a Jeep Service Doc that highlights and explains the various fixes for these various leaks. It didn't help me with my car but I'll see if I can find and post it.