Friendly Advice - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-12-2012
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts
Default Friendly Advice

Hi all,
I will be looking for a Grand Cherokee after Christmas (preferably a Limited) and have some queries.....
* I am looking at a 2005 - 2008 model. Is there a particular year that is better than the other, or is there something that I should be looking out for in a particular year make?
* I believe that the Limited has a better traction control system. Is this correct?
* I am wanting the diesel. Here again, is there anything that I should be looking out for?
* I have had plenty of different 4Wd's over the years, but know nothing about the Cherokee. Is there anything else that I should be aware of??

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Craig
Old 23-12-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 35 Times in 31 Posts

I think some diesels have a problem with the pcm under the battery tray corroding and causing problems..
Old 23-12-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 35 Times in 31 Posts

Even better though,

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=75725
Old 23-12-2012
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee30D View Post
Hi all,
I will be looking for a Grand Cherokee after Christmas (preferably a Limited) and have some queries.....
* I am looking at a 2005 - 2008 model. Is there a particular year that is better than the other, or is there something that I should be looking out for in a particular year make?
* I believe that the Limited has a better traction control system. Is this correct?
* I am wanting the diesel. Here again, is there anything that I should be looking out for?
* I have had plenty of different 4Wd's over the years, but know nothing about the Cherokee. Is there anything else that I should be aware of??

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Craig
Update in late 2008, headlights and front bumper minor change and interior change.

*In the CRD the Quadra Drive II 4WD system is standard in the Laredo and the Limited. Absolutely awesome off road, this system controls the front and rear limited slip diffs up to full lock.

*Engine – remove the engine cover and look for oil around the turbo (look up swirl motor), there is a replacement intake tube that will fix this issue.
*The computer is located under the battery sealed in an alloy housing. If the battery has leaked acid it can corrode the housing. The battery and battery tray need to be removed to inspect properly.
*No auto trans dip stick.
*And are known to throw false error codes if the battery is low or is under rated (around 800cca or higher required).

*Standard ride height is too low for off road work, a lift is almost compulsory.
*Standard tyres are only 245/65/17, to fit the more popular size 265/70/17 A/T you will need to change rims for more clearance (Commander rims fit at this size).
*They have what I would call a long accelerator pedal, to me it felt un-responsive until I got accustomed to applying more pressure.
*The indicator/ light switch are opposite to normal with the indicator on the left hand side of the steering wheel.
*Factory roof load rating very low.

If you have any problems there is always going to be someone on this site who can help.

Dave
Old 23-12-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts

Great motor,
Berrima diesel chip makes it better
Tyres make a big difference to on road handling - wranglers seemed good, pirellis were not so hot
Sunroof leaked on mine - major problem
check rear shocks, they seem a bit prone to wear
Old 23-12-2012
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 261 Times in 159 Posts

Thanks to v8val, Dave & crisis for your comments & advice.

Dave, I thought that the Quadra Drive II badge behind the gear shift was only on the Limited?

I don't think that my budget will allow me to stretch to a late 2008, however I would be happy with the previous years.

Hear where you are coming from Dave with the lift & tyres.

The left hand indicator thing is ok as my current ride is a (hope I don't get too much curry) Discovery 4 & the wife has a beamer.

Any other tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks again, Craig
Old 23-12-2012
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

On the V6 petrol and 4.7 V8 Laredo QDII was an option but all the "CRD's" are QDII only.