$730 to import a mopar front bar... - Page 5 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 24-05-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superior79 View Post
Nice Bumpers Guys!!
I wonder is it legal to put these bumpers on?
Or will you need an engineer to check them for you for the adr compliance?
This issue has come up in previous threads, but people got all uppity so I never went into details about what I know. DPI has rules about what specs a bar has to have, but they're very basic. However, Australian Standards does have a lot of rules about rear sloping etc, and you can be fined. BUT having said all that... I wouldn't worry, the chances of getting pinged are so remote it's not funny.

One thing to consider is the airbag compliance though. No bar will stop your airbags from working, but the wrong design can make them go off with much less impact than what the airbags are designed for.
Old 24-05-2007
Renegado

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon27 View Post
I am also waiting on a bumber, costing $2500 to come over. Your shipping seams expensive though - check it out

here is the bumber http://www.quadratec.com/products/12000_311_T.htm
Fab four

What's the cost breakdown on your bumper? I'm still hunting around and getting quotes still... arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 25-05-2007
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfeX View Post
This issue has come up in previous threads, but people got all uppity so I never went into details about what I know. DPI has rules about what specs a bar has to have, but they're very basic. However, Australian Standards does have a lot of rules about rear sloping etc, and you can be fined. BUT having said all that... I wouldn't worry, the chances of getting pinged are so remote it's not funny.

One thing to consider is the airbag compliance though. No bar will stop your airbags from working, but the wrong design can make them go off with much less impact than what the airbags are designed for.
Yeah I know, just before I placed my order I rang Dept of planning and checked with them. As long as the air bags are not affected then it is not to much of a problem. except they said if Chrysler don't accept it then neither to they. I rang Chrysler and they said they don't accept any after market accessories - I think that is because it an't covered by warranty. Plenty of cars drive around with non ADR compliance stuff - even the roof rack for jeep is not ADR compliance. Here is some risk of what could happen.

- Police pull me over, they be a real ass about it and check the bull bar does not have a ADR stamp and tell me to take it over the pits.

- The bull bar completly stuffs up the air bag system, the warranty does not cover the bull bar and any problems it causes to the vehicle.

I rang my insurance and they said they just want to know when i am installing the bar and to let them know, but thats it really.

Everything is a risk if you import it from over seas, just have to be reallly careful. Plus people may have problem trying to get someone to install things like this. I have someone in mind who I trust, he said he imports plenty of bull bar (expecially Bestop) and it is a risk to him aswell, he said if anything happens after he installs it, then it will fall back on him.
Old 07-06-2007
Renegado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Finally ordered a Mopar front bar from quadratec yesterday! came to a total of $795.00, they price matched at my request autotrucktoys.com with no drama.

$560.00 - Bumper
$235.00 - Shipping (Much less than expected!)

Shold be here in 3 - 7 days! I'll post pics once it is installed.
Old 07-06-2007
Time to tinker

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 448 Times in 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon27 View Post
Everything is a risk if you import it from over seas, just have to be reallly careful. Plus people may have problem trying to get someone to install things like this. I have someone in mind who I trust, he said he imports plenty of bull bar (expecially Bestop) and it is a risk to him aswell, he said if anything happens after he installs it, then it will fall back on him.
Yup there is a risk.
If you import something from outside Australia, then by Aussie law you are regarded as the manufacturer not Mopar, Bestop, AEV or HillBillyFabrications....
Old 07-06-2007
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
Finally ordered a Mopar front bar from quadratec yesterday! came to a total of $795.00, they price matched at my request autotrucktoys.com with no drama.

$560.00 - Bumper
$235.00 - Shipping (Much less than expected!)

Shold be here in 3 - 7 days! I'll post pics once it is installed.
Bert,

I wanna get one of these (along with the rear bar and wheel carrier, half doors and a shite load of other stuff) while the exchange rate is still good.

I assume that price of $795 was in US dollars?
Old 07-06-2007
Renegado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
Bert,

I wanna get one of these (along with the rear bar and wheel carrier, half doors and a shite load of other stuff) while the exchange rate is still good.

I assume that price of $795 was in US dollars?
Nope thats Aussie dollars! (I'm still broke tho hehe) ...Yeh, the exchange rate was too hard to resist! I ended up getting the version w/o a winchmount in the end (hope I'm not kicking myself in the future) also had to buy a set of tow hooks as the bumper does not come standard with them (US$100.00 inc shipping). So all up its costing around AU$900.00 with tow hooks.