Whollsee's 258 Tart Up - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Early Model Jeep
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-11-2014
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

your doing a top job, keep up the good work
Old 21-11-2014
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Old 27-11-2014
AJOR Gold

Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Default Whollsee's 258 engine build 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar madness View Post
your doing a top job, keep up the good work
Cheers mm. Glad your liking it.

Hey Voodoo looks like you were passing thru in '89. Your pics? Quite a line up out front there. Bought stuff of them but never got down there before they called it a day despite the intention.

So 7 years before that, this unit was built. Not strictly engine but while I’m there may as well give it a quick write up…I was contemplating a refurb while it was out but given there were no issues, christmas is coming, and PO’s records indicated a 2002 rebuild I settled for a clean up and makeover.

Was leaking enough out of front output bearing cap/plate and cover pan to piss me of with an eternal oil drop hanging off the crossmember and an oily sheen over everything in the general area. Opened it up and was actually really clean. No metal bits on the magnetic drain plug or in the case. All gears and selectors looked great. Checked end play on both shafts as per TSM. Tops. Pulled the bearing cap and cleaned up it and the shims.

Cover plate was a bit wonky so probably why it leaked.. Had a corner dint that looked like case had been dropped on it or perhaps it was from when my tailshaft let go on the M5 a few years ago and modified the underbelly. Anyway enough of an excuse to replace it with some bling from Novak. I was actually thinking about clocking it and taking that factory lump out of the crossmember. Not a totally flat belly with a new cross but enough to lose 2 inches of unnecessary factory bulge. That must, however, wait until next year. Out of time and want to get this all in next week if i can.

Last edited by whollsee; 07-11-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Old 28-11-2014
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Looks pristine.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Old 04-12-2014
AJOR Gold

Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Default Whollsee's 258 engine build 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Looks pristine.
Yeah really happy with it . There’s been more than a few vinegar and citric baths employed throughout this process. Great tip from your current build thread. I combine with KBS system to acid etch parts prior to coating. Their “rust blast” is also great for sprucing up the cast alloy parts by just keeping wet for 10 mins and then rinse with water - come up sparkling as you can see. My tip to add is don’t forget about parts in a vinegar bath cos they get noticeably smaller after a couple of weeks - real bad for tolerances!

Read about the D300 development recently and it seems some believe that judging by the design the engineers actually intended it to be a twin stick box but Jeep kiboshed the idea to for the sake of simplicity. I believe everything I read on the interwebs so couldn’t help myself. Tragic
These are JB Custom Fab. Well made, easy set up. Come with old school round knobs but wanted OEM look so adapters in progress which will also extend a couple of inches for a bit more height [EDIT: Found out that you can order extra length to order....grrrr. Oh well - still happy]. More on this set up when installing proper. Bit of floor plate work to do too.

Freshened up dust cover plate and brand spankin’ flexplate installed. Trans is now mated up proper too. Some extra stuff about that here.. http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/....php?p=1441365

Just a quickie post today. Lots going on but no install as planned weekend past. Prepping for it seems to take a lot longer than anticipated. - in my pedantic world anyway. Noodling away at LX behind the scenes as well. Two weekends left before I gotta fly out for Chrissy. Hmmm..

Last edited by whollsee; 07-11-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-12-2014
LokRinger

Liked 1,754 Times in 556 Posts

Glad the thread was of help to you.

My web site:
http://willyshotrod.com Over 5'000 Club
Post New Thread  Reply