WG 2.7CRD OEM battery specs - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-09-2022
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

AGM should be OK to install as charging voltage will be the same as the standard flooded battery. The only downside is they're a little more expensive.

I've got a Touareg with an AGM and it lasted 9 years (with auto stop function working) and I've just replaced the battery in the WJ at 8 years of age. Look after the battery and they'll generally last pretty well.
Old 29-09-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

I'm running also an optima yellow top with 55Ah. I'm not too happy with it.
Was using Optima for the last two decades, but their quality has dropped massively.
I did experience the same with the state of charge and even capacity. They were all way lower than signed.

E.g. That said Optima above was having a capacity of 38Ah when brand new. Even the exchange battery wasn't any better. First I thought the capacity meter is defect. Nope, a test with another device (Hella) gave accurately the same readings.

So not everything which is expensive is good. Some claim the Optima need a special charging device, if you look at the data specs you can read that any charger being designed for AGM can also charge an Optima.
I used the yellow Optima for about three years for the engine heater which consumes a lot of current. After that it still was usable. Not for winching, but starting every engine reliable is no problem, even when it is cold.

The only problem appears when longer parking periods occur after about two weeks the battery is depleted due two the constant alarm system drain.

The red one seems to better for starting purposes, but does not for engine heaters.
I did like the optima for their small handling size. But that seems nowadays a nogo.
Old 29-09-2022
Full Flexer

add-on:

It is maybe interesting that a battery in use is usually only charged about 60%. Driving distance is simply to short to go higher than that.
So an 100Ah battery just keeps 60Ah. An Optima only around 30Ah.
It does make sense to put the charger on the battery more often.
Old 03-10-2022
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
I'm running also an optima yellow top with 55Ah. I'm not too happy with it.
Was using Optima for the last two decades, but their quality has dropped massively.
I did experience the same with the state of charge and even capacity. They were all way lower than signed.

E.g. That said Optima above was having a capacity of 38Ah when brand new. Even the exchange battery wasn't any better. First I thought the capacity meter is defect. Nope, a test with another device (Hella) gave accurately the same readings.

So not everything which is expensive is good. Some claim the Optima need a special charging device, if you look at the data specs you can read that any charger being designed for AGM can also charge an Optima.
I used the yellow Optima for about three years for the engine heater which consumes a lot of current. After that it still was usable. Not for winching, but starting every engine reliable is no problem, even when it is cold.

The only problem appears when longer parking periods occur after about two weeks the battery is depleted due two the constant alarm system drain.

The red one seems to better for starting purposes, but does not for engine heaters.
I did like the optima for their small handling size. But that seems nowadays a nogo.
you can install Optima 75ah - its in access on the same location ?
According to what I remember from the test I did, it is high and the hood cannot close
Old 05-10-2022

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanLuke View Post
My battery...

Sent from my motorola edge 20 fusion using Tapatalk
Hey JeanLuke,

Those calcium batteries from the RAC do have a higher CCA and capacity relative to a standard lead/acid, but keep in mind the reduced charging from the vehicle.

The vehicle charge circuit is usually capable of delivering a maximum voltage of 14.8 V, charging a Ca or Ca/Ca battery to only 45 - 50 %. The highest a modern vehicle charges at is around 15 V giving it 70 - 80%.
You need to find a charger that can produce a voltage of 16.1-16.5 V with de-sulphation mode to top off the charge occasionally. Conventional chargers and vehicles cannot do this.

My wife's Corolla has a Ca from the RAC rated at 60 AH So effectively it only charges to 30 AH when driving. Throw in a permanently powered dashcam at 200 mA, and it will only have 15 AH of charge after a measly 3 days of not being driven.
A right pain in the butt that I would not have taken on by choice.
Old 10-10-2022
Full Flexer

Not sure if you can install a 75Ah Optima under the bonnet.
Due to the 3.0L engine swap I did change the location anyway. The battery is now mounted into a frame in a box in the boot.

Too many add-ons in the engine bay.