Xj turbo diesels and aftermarket turbo timers? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Fabrication and Custom
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 15-10-2009
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Xj turbo diesels and aftermarket turbo timers?

Has anyone fitted one? If so what brands do ya recomend. Is it worth it? ( don't know why the yanks never put one on??? I feel I should put one on to try and possibly extend what life the turbo has left and keep my wallet shut for a little longer?
Any idea's?

Quote:
Do you very much do wheel 4 driving?
Old 23-12-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Arrow

Hi,
You only need one for when you shut the engine off after a bit of a slog with the thing. Just around town etc they are unneccessary. I have had several Tdi Discos and NEVER bothered with a timer and I lived at the top of a steep hill. All I did was wait 30" to 60" and shut it down. Usually enuf time to go unlock the house or finish listening to ya fav ABBA song on the wireless

Just my 10c (that's the smallest coin we have now )

'18 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
'42 Ford GPW
Yaesu FTM-300DR

Old 26-12-2009
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 232 Times in 189 Posts

I would be more worried about the residual heat in the cylinders than the turbo.

Shut the engine off and put the ingnition in the on position. You will see how much the temperature rises after shut-off. I'm more inclined to install an after-run coolant pump instead of a turbo timer.
Old 26-12-2009
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

In many cases an turbo timer is a waste of money. If you do long, heavily loaded trips where the turbo has time to really heat up it is alway good practice to let it cool down before turning it off. This cool down can occur simply through moving along at the slower speeds most of us do around our residential streets. If you were pulling off the freeway after a long hot run and into a rest area or service centre, then by all means keep it running for a few minutes to allow the turbo to cool down at idle. But if you pull of the freeway and take a few minutes to drive home then a cooldown cycle may not be required. A useful exercise is to put in an EGT gauge, this will do wonders for telling you just how hot it is near the turbo exhaust port entrance, and IMHO a better investment that a turbo timer.
Old 26-12-2009
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hi,

Glend is right, diesel xj has no throttle plate so full air flow at all times through the engine cools things like turbo and cylinders down real quick. Unlike petrol turbo engines which close off throttle when you let them idle so have little cooling to the turbo.

On the rare occsaion you are on full boost right up until you stop, just let the engine idle for about 60 secs and the turbo will be cooled enough to stop.

Biggest heating issue with XJ diesel is that you can be on full boost just over 1500rpm so little coolant flow and not much air flow from the fan either.

cheers
Old 19-01-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian D View Post
I would be more worried about the residual heat in the cylinders than the turbo.

Shut the engine off and put the ingnition in the on position. You will see how much the temperature rises after shut-off. I'm more inclined to install an after-run coolant pump instead of a turbo timer.
Yeah I read on another thread about these so called afterun pumps and yes they do sound like a much better idea, having the thermo stay on with the pump sound good to,
yes I have turned the car off and watched the temp guage rise almost 1 full bar, frigen scary really, can't imagine the damage that 220,000k's of heat soak has alredy done to the alloy motor.

So where would one find such a waterpump. Or do people just use something like a Davis Craig electric water pump,

Fairly dear for what they are, but I supose a $150 investment is cheaper then a $6,500 engine.....
Any ideas on a possibly cheaper alternative, I've heard that certain Audi's run an ARP. ? Not many in the wreckers though!

Quote:
Do you very much do wheel 4 driving?

Last edited by MudMonkey30; 19-01-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Repeated
Old 14-03-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

A turbo timer in an XJ with a SENTRY KEY IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM?

Have fun to override it.
It will definetly give you some headaches.
A turbo timer won't give you the needed cooling effect.
Coolant heat rises up to half an hour after shutting off the engine. Temperatures reach easily more than 115°C. Caviation and steam bubbles cause hot spots in the head.
You know the results.