Jeep 2.7 CRD won't start - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-11-2015
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Make sure you get the VIN from the vehicle the replacement ECM comes from, I am working away and won't be home until 26th nov...
Old 14-11-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian D View Post
Grab a ELM327 USB interface, download this program: http://jeepswj.com/software/ and read the codes.[/url]
Hi Adrian D, unfortunately mine doesn't present codes at all. Using the key trick it simply doesn't happen, using an OBDII reader it can't negotiate the right protocol, but I could read codes back when the Jeep was running. I've attached a pic of the worst of the damage, one of the pins is physically corroded through, there is some swelling of the PCB elsewhere but I don't think it is bad enough to stop things working. The pins on the IC in the pic would be less than a mm apart and there isn't anything exposed on the IC to solder the pin back on. I've spoken to a couple of ECU shops and they say they can't (or won't) repair damage like that. I will check that the PCM gets power using your pinout diagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian D View Post
If you want a new ECU, you need the keys alongside the ECU too. A friend of mine fried his CRD ECU because of frayed wiring and simply replaced with his spare. No coding, he only needed the correct key.
I thought if I didn't want to reprogram the PCM (ECU) I'd need to replace the PCM, BCM, SKIM, Ignition barrel, drivers door lock, keys, and remotes but it looks like I'm wrong based on this and piper's photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
I replaced the 03 computer with an 04. poly 4x4 had a used one for $850 and Maryborough wreckers for $1100, all I had to was remove some codes and all is well
Piper, it looks like you replaced the PCM, ignition barrel, key and a black module, is that the BCM or SKIM? Did you clear the fault codes or did you take it to a dealer to have it done, did they stop it from running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55zed View Post
Any jeep dealer can do it with a DRB3, I can do it but will need the CRD ECM, Skim module, transponder key, and security access code (get from dealer with VIN)
I am in Maryborough Qld
Cheers John
John, thanks for the offer! I'm still trying to find a replacement PCM, the Jeep dealer I spoke to said their DRBIII machine had been replaced by a superseded model and they would need to plug in to the OBDII port to reprogram, meaning I need to trailer the Jeep down. Do you mean you'd need the new PCM and the old SKIM and old key? Does the dealer need anything other than the VIN (like access to the Jeep/diagnostics) to get the security access code?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PCM-IC.jpg
Views:	666
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	72802  
Old 14-11-2015
Established Member

Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Tim, the VIN is all the dealer needs, I think they only really need the last 7 or 8 numbers/letters,
Yes new PCM, old Skim, and old key, I can fit these to my Jeep and reprogram the replacement PCM to the Skim and key, but need the codes and VIN's for the new and old PCM to allow access to program it.
Send a PM to ozjeepster and confirm it with him
That swelling of the PCM pcb could be a problem if it is a multilayer pcb
Old 14-11-2015
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

my wg is a 03 but ecu was made in 02,i replaced it with one made in 04 but all from lardo and replaced matching key and barrel and skim, I have been quoted $60 to change the door lock to suit new key, I paid $500 for ecu and matching parts, cleared codes my self, no need to change vin or program
Old 02-12-2015
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Just to finish this thread off my CRD has been running for the last week with no issues.

I was able to source the kit mentioned by piper above from Jeeepart Recyclers in Hervey Bay, QLD. These guys were very helpful and the only Jeep wreckers who promptly returned my call. The "kit" they supplied cost about $850 express posted to me and contained the following (all from the same Jeep):
- ECU with the same part number as my old one
- SKIM module
- Ignition barrel
- Drivers door lock
- Fuel cap
- Only one key and fob

The above is everything you need so that you don't have to carry the old key with you, note that you keep your old key fob as the BCM isn't changed.

Installing it has been simple, swapping the PCM, SKIM, Ignition barrel, and fuel cap took about 45 minutes and afterwards the Jeep started straight away but ran roughly with the check engine light on. There was a list of error codes, the one that was slightly concerning was P1685
- P0702 (Transmission Control System Electrical)
- P0340 (Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or Single Sensor))
- P1652 (Fault code P1652 is present when data bus cable is shorted to ground)
- P1685 (Skim Invalid Key)

I read the codes using the jeepswj software and a cheap eBay OBDII reader. I actually have 3 cheap eBay OBDII readers, this is the only one I have that works the WJ CRD. Just note it only works with Windows 7 or Vista.

I reset the codes using the OBDII reader and software and the Jeep ran smoothly again and has since.

The next issue was sourcing another key, from what I read dealers charge roughly $350 for a new key and programming the key in the SKIM. They don't duplicate the existing key code, but program a new one. Locksmiths duplicate the code in the existing key so the SKIM believes the duplicate is whichever original key that was copied. I ended up getting my key duplicated at Mister Minit for $140 because only having one key concerned me, the duplicate key is big compared to the original so it'll be the spare. I'll look at cheap options for copying OEM keys later.

Big thanks to piper for the list of parts I'd need to fix the beast, and a big thanks to 55zed for offering to reprogram another PCM, it's much appreciated by a Jeeper when they're down.

Last edited by Tims_Jeep; 02-12-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: noting all parts need to be from the same jeep
Old 02-12-2015
MonsterMoose

Liked 3,937 Times in 2,323 Posts

I may have a blank uncoded key, have to check the shed, I may have sold it in the big parts sale.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 22-11-2017
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all , I just register here in the forum.
I live in Italy and this thread is the only one found in the web world with exactly the problem that I have.
I know that is an old thread, but maybe can help me also.
The only difference is that no water on my hood, but I think the + batt shock on the chassis and than burn the PCM module.
Post New Thread  Reply