Trying to do it right the first time... - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > ASSOCIATED INTERESTS > Radio Controlled JEEP Action
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-03-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Awesome pics!
I'm keen to get this started..
Last night I bit the bullet and ordered some stuff:

- Axial SCX10 Rock Crawler KIT
- Ansmann Super Fast Delta-Peak charger
- Battery, 7.2V 3300MaH NiCd, stick pack
- 35T,SILVER CAN 540 CRAWLER BRUSHED MOTOR
- MG996R METAL GEAR DIGITAL HI-TORQUE SERVO 15KG

Now just looking at the NewBright 4 door JK body. The SCX10 is a shorter wheelbase than the JK body but i'll look at extending the control arms and driveline to fit, otherwise chop the body down and make a JT or brute .

When the kit comes, I'll need to assemble it and go from there but it's a start.

What type of controllers are you using? I'd like to put up a winch some time so a 3 channel?

Also, what ESC do you have in your trucks? My intention is to use this purely for crawling so it doesn't need to be fast by any means... I'm not overly sure what I need to fit the above parts to my SCX10 running gear and motor???

Thanks fellas,

Last edited by TJIM; 30-03-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 31-03-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just won a NewBright JK body and interior on ebay stoked... It's all coming together.

What controllers do you use??
Old 31-03-2010
MudSplasher

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I use an older Spektrum 6xe I think. It's a park flyier controller, so the receiver is about the size of a match book. I run a VF Dig and will possibly run rear steer off it. You can use a winch or whatever... It's something like 7 channels or so. Got it for a bargain in the UK.
Old 08-04-2010
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

I'm building a JK 4 door at the moment as well, using the SCX10 Honcho. The normal SCX10 is a much shorter wheelbase and wont work as well unless you modify the hell out of the chassis and control arms!

I just picked up my 2 extra 106mm axial long arms today to start the front end wheelbase extension.

As for motor, Im using a Novak 18.5T Brushless crawler motor, it has spastic torque and drivability matted together with a Novak Goat3 ESC, full locked brakes, trail brake control heaps of features including LiPo detection voltage lock out ect. Amaxing piece of kit.

Spent the arvo crawling today, full lights make a difference to the look of the vehicle.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 10-04-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

aah right on man, sounds good.
i've got the SCX10 KIT so i've built that now up to the point where i'm putting the wheels together... got the servo, controller, motor, battery, charger, receiver all i'm waiting for is my Novak rooster ESC to rock up then it should be all done.

the NewBright JK body came in the mail on thursday so then I'll have to measure up new link lengths and start sorting that out. did you stetch much or just push one end out the back to make up the difference?
I've read some share the difference both ways but then does steering geo get messed up???
Old 11-04-2010
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts
Default SCX10 Stretch for JK body mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJIM View Post
aah right on man, sounds good.
i've got the SCX10 KIT so i've built that now up to the point where i'm putting the wheels together... got the servo, controller, motor, battery, charger, receiver all i'm waiting for is my Novak rooster ESC to rock up then it should be all done.

the NewBright JK body came in the mail on thursday so then I'll have to measure up new link lengths and start sorting that out. did you stetch much or just push one end out the back to make up the difference?
I've read some share the difference both ways but then does steering geo get messed up???
Sounds good.

There is a mod you can do for the front end that moves the front crossmember & battery mount forward. The extra crossmember is included in the kit which makes me think the dudes at Axial knew people would do the wheelbase extension mod :P!
I'll get some pics of mine that I did yesterday and post up soon. You should extend the wheelbase in the front end. It will give the car better handling and more flex with less bind up once you get longer coil overs :P! The steering horn on the servo actually fouls on the stock crossmember setup - you'll see this once you've got it all built up. Wind up your front stock coilover so you've got a 10mm gap between the upper spring perch and the top of the shock. It helps with the ride and flex as the front end carries all the weight.
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 11-04-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah man if you got some close up pics that would be great. When I look at it right now my brain hurts... Tired old man weekend haha.
Also where did you get your control arms from? On Ebay Aus they're like $80 for all four including postage which is stupid.

Last edited by TJIM; 11-04-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply