XJ Transmission Oil Coolers - Page 28 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-06-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts
Wink

The limiting factors in cooler selection:

Old 23-06-2010
Symphony Composer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftR View Post
hey nakkas where did you get your fittings?
i have looked at a fair few places and none of them have the right fittings and i cant get the sensor to screw in more then 1 turn
I got the fittings from Pirtek. I had to retap the thread to get the sensor far enough in. Also opened up around the sensor so it's not touching the brass and oil circulates around the sensor

XJ V8 Build
Electric water pump
Old 25-06-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

I have just noticed something interesting, after looking through the FSM I was looking at the radiator and cooling system setup and noticed that in the LHD versions the fans are on the opposite sides of the radiator ie the clutch fan is on the "hot" side where as the electric fan is on the "cool" side.
I wonder if this has any bearing on any "cooling" issues?
This also means that the factory aux cooler is in the air path of the clutch fan in the LHD models whereas ours are in the air path of the lower aiflow electric fan.
So that would, to me at least, indicate that the internal cooler is on the "hot" side of the radiator and the aux cooler gets less airflow, isn't that a double wammy for a less than efficient system especially in a hotter climate????

I would be curous to see what others make of this????

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 25-06-2010
Full Flexer

Thumbs up

Very good recognition!
The fan clutch is of course heat activated. And heat transfer is- having thermodynamic law in mind- bigger from the hot side!

You Sir, just have received your 1st Spotter badge!

Now start to work with it! Can you change the arrangement?
Old 25-06-2010
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,110 Times in 691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
Very good recognition!
The fan clutch is of course heat activated. And heat transfer is- having thermodynamic law in mind- bigger from the hot side!

You Sir, just have received your 1st Spotter badge!

Now start to work with it! Can you change the arrangement?
Woohoo, I received a badge, I haven't gotten one of those since Cubs....
I will have to look into this some more especially since I have twin thermo fans....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 25-06-2010
Full Flexer

No kidding, that could be the begining of reducing heat related trouble!
I wanted to express: spotter badge first class- not your first badge, hehehe was a cub, too (British boy scouts)

Last edited by Deezelweazel; 25-06-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 25-06-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejuice View Post
I have just noticed something interesting, after looking through the FSM I was looking at the radiator and cooling system setup and noticed that in the LHD versions the fans are on the opposite sides of the radiator ie the clutch fan is on the "hot" side where as the electric fan is on the "cool" side.
I wonder if this has any bearing on any "cooling" issues?
This also means that the factory aux cooler is in the air path of the clutch fan in the LHD models whereas ours are in the air path of the lower aiflow electric fan.
So that would, to me at least, indicate that the internal cooler is on the "hot" side of the radiator and the aux cooler gets less airflow, isn't that a double wammy for a less than efficient system especially in a hotter climate????

I would be curous to see what others make of this????

Well Done JJ ....

Its as enlightening as discovering the, back the front, in tank oil "cooler" set up huh ....

.... and when Ive done a few more, decent distance runs with a temp sensor relocated to our dvrs side of the vehicle .... I'll post whatever variations there are, that I noted between either end of the radiator. Unfortunatley it will be in reference to the Adrad radiator ... and not a factory radiator.

Obviously as you stated .... the fanclutch sensor on a RHD model 4.0l XJ is in a cooler air path than the original vehicle design allowed for.

This means:

- It wont kick in as soon as on a LHD XJ,
- Engine coolant temps will have to be pretty hot to influence the "cooled" end of the radiator.

Going by my preliminary ... and probably not exact, low temp, data for the air temp in front of the fanclutch over the past few months .... and the FSM spec 74'c fan clutch start up ....

........ Im hoping the fanclutch from Mr Wooders has a much lower start temp than the factory one .... and the Adrad radiator keeps cooling the liquid as well as it does.

Have been thinking for a while - that the RHD setup could well be the reason why a quality electric fan setup gives good results over what should be ... a reasonably effective clutch fan, on RHD models.