I drove a hummer - Page 15 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Off Topic Chitchat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-02-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Giki......
I'm trying to stay away from V8's. Don't particularly want to pay extra in rego etc etc just to have a V8. I put a budget of 50k on our next car. If it was up to my partner, there wouldn't be a budget. So keeping this in mind I have been keeping my eye out for an x5 and was looking at the merc's a while back. Do you find you have enough room in the merc? At the moment we only need to throw our dog in the back and would like enough room when we go on trips etc. Possibly later, kiddies etc.

I realise at the end of the day, taking a merc or x5 offroad would bother me. I'd like to know how they go offroad if we did want to do a good trip further north or outback. I dont particularly want to get bogged at the sight of water to my ankle but realise both cars are just 'pretty' things for the road. But i am quite amazed at their fuel ratings... big bonus.

Hummer hasn't gotten back to me, so looks like I am now forced to look at another car more seriously.

Old 21-02-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

My old boss had a CRD Mercedes ML (think it was an '03?) that I got to drive a bit, and took it offroad once to hit the sand dunes at Stockton; seemed to go fine in the soft, dry sand once we reduced the tire pressures. On road it did drive like a dream though; handled like a car, smooth, loads of power once the turbo kicked in, and used very little fuel. The tiptronic auto also meant you could drive it like a manual (V-handy for sand-shifts as no clutching to lose momentum). I'm guessing the BMW's are a similar experience.

Still, I prefere my JK's bouncy ride and bulldog looks though; loads of fun with the top down!
Old 21-02-2009
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeepgirl,
what about a 2nd hand Commander CRD?
245/75 Maxxis Bighorns
Old 21-02-2009
DetroitDemon

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
A lot of people assume that it must be big if it's a hummer but the h3 is very small compared to the h1 and h2 similare in size to a toyota rav 4 or kluger
closer to a prado. Definately bigger than a rav4
Old 21-02-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Go for the Merc. As i said before that it is more capable than the BMW. The BMW literally starts crying at the mention of off roading or sand. The Merc has a really plush interior and should fit 2 kids and 1 dog safely and comfortably. My partner,s car has carried 5 adults in good comfort and if you get the newer one, which your budget will fit, i see no reason why it wont fit a max of 3 kids, if you please.

And at the end of a day a Merc is still all class compared to a BMW which shouts "hey look i have monehh" .

Here,s what you can expect...

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/ME...938781892&pt=1

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/ME...938781892&pt=1

The only reason i am not suggesting any Jeeps is because of the safety aspect. Having driven both I guess I will keep the Jeep for myself but the day i have kids,i will get something else,preferably a Merc.i can happily live without my 4WD as long as my kids would be safe.

Last edited by giki; 21-02-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 22-02-2009
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

not that I am in the market but.
GM has indefinetly postponed launching Cadillac here, you may have noticed that some Saab and Hummer Dealers already had Cadillac signage as well, and as such i would be a little concerned about their long term future in Australia. I know Chrysler has its fair share of financail problems however with a well established market here in OZ they are far less likely to decided to pull out of the market. I am sure GM would continue to honour the warranty etc as they did with Daewoo just not certain how it would play out for resale and technical support.
I am also assuming GM will cotinue to own Hummer as they have also been looking for a buyer for this marque.
On a more grass roots level had a mate of mine who works in such a dealership tell me that there sales have slowed dramatically a lot of interest when first launched and has trailled off significantly.
None of those things may make any difference to your decision, they would for me as too often seen vehicles people have paid good money for worth very little in a short time after simply cause the market did not like them.
Old 22-02-2009
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodxj View Post
That my good man, would have to be the ugliest 4x4 ever posted.....anywhere.
Rod - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder (& let's face it, bushpigs aren't known for their taste).

Anyway, 5.2ltr V12, 450 BHP, 0 - 100 in 7.8 sec, 2.7 tonne, 210 km top speed, 290 ltr fuel tank (@30ltr/100km you need a big tank) and 17 y.o. technology - I like it.

Apologies for pinching the thread - I'll head back into my box

Cheers ... Mark
Post New Thread  Reply