ESP/BAS Light? - Page 6 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-07-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Sorry Nemesis, I have to disagree with you there. Have aligned mine and friends on regular occasions by eye for the steering wheel and string line for wheels straight ahead and never had an issue.

On a normal camber road my steering wheel is about 2cm to the right of centre and on an off camber road about 3cm to the left of centre on average. It sits pretty close to dead centre on flat road, though there is not much of that around!

Never had an issue except for a clock spring failure!

I should add though that there was a computer update to reduce the sensitivity of the earlier vehicles. Prob pre 2009 from memory. If its been updated then you can Di the chicken dance to permanently disable the ESP system.

Sent from Tapatalk as I finally ditched the Windows 7.5 heap of rubbish
Look you can disagree all you like, but thro practical experience of bas / ESP Christmas tree lights going off, I found that you have to have the steering wheel DEAD straight, other factors such as lift height can cause reduced tolerance to having the steering wheel dead straight, as the yaw and accelerometer outputs change with lift height, the only way to eliminate this problem is to get it on a scan gauge and centre it, you can then chase other gremlins. Squinting and aligning it by eye is a waste of time. Why bother you'll end up going round in circles.

DO IT RIGHT FIRST TIME.
10JK Rubicon
Old 06-07-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Yeah tricky one that.

out of curiousity, how would you disable the esp permanatly? guessing that could be more than handy for sand work...
Old 06-07-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Procedure To Turn ON (or OFF) The Permanent ESP Disable Feature:
a. Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the “Park” position, and that a manual transmission is in neutral gear.
b. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position and ensure parking brake is firmly set.
c. Turn the steering wheel until it is centred and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
d. Turn ignition on (and optionally start engine to make turning the wheel easier – will work with or without engine running) and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb check to complete.
e. Turn the steering wheel one-half (½) turn to the right (clockwise).
f. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly then release and wait for chime.
g. Turn the steering wheel back to centre, then continue turning the steering wheel one-half (½) turn to the left (counter clockwise).
h. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly, release and wait for chime.
i. Turn the steering wheel back to centre.
j. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds, release and wait for chime.
k. Cycle the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.

Perfect for sand and mud running

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 06-07-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Mate,
you're full of all sorts of good things (including information)

i'm presuming that to turn it back on you turn the car off then on?

Cheers Mick
Old 06-07-2012
MonsterMoose

Check out my Ride(s)

Na, thats a permanent disable and you go through the same process to turn it back on. The temporary one is to stick it in 4hi and hold the button down for 7 seconds. This will only keep it off until you go back to 2hi or turn off.

Over 5000 Club
Old 06-07-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Na, thats a permanent disable and you go through the same process to turn it back on. The temporary one is to stick it in 4hi and hold the button down for 7 seconds. This will only keep it off until you go back to 2hi or turn off.
do you actually remember this off by heart ?
Old 07-07-2012
MonsterMoose

Check out my Ride(s)

LOL. Yeah, I seem to have an ability to remember stupid stuff like this! As for the more complicated ones though, I would usually forget one step (usually the putting it into 4hi to start off).

Now I have all the shortcuts documented onto one page and keep it in the glovebox.

If you would like a copy, here's a link to it for anyone who would like it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...thkey=CKr19d8F

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 07-07-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply