Xj Diesel converted to Toyota Engine - Page 3 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-05-2010
StaunStar

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

Toyota engine technology as well as the rest of their fleet is years behind the better manufacturers. Marketing is cheaper and more secure.
I would look elsewhere as there is beter options for an engine.
Old 17-05-2010
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know its a pretty stupid idea and won't even mount straight up to your transmission, but how about the 2.5tdi out of the land rover discovery/defender??
Old 17-05-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys for all the comments.

I havent had a VM diesel before. But do know the engine seems it to have its shares of problems. In the Range Rover they had the same reputation.

I work in a remote area in Nth Queensland and this is where the Jeep would call home.

There are heaps of Tojo`s up here, so thats were the thoughts of having a Tojo engine.

I think it would be a good combo.

I love the 4bt and its a strong engine. But again Tojo for spares would be the better option.

The D4D or earlier would be good I think.

I thought XJ came with a 6cyl petrol, this is why I thought the 1HZ may fit. I think there is also a 5 cyl version.
Old 17-05-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackjack View Post
I thought XJ came with a 6cyl petrol
Yep, petrol xj's are a 4 litre inline six, so not much smaller displacement then the 1hz. But the 4 litre is a pretty tight fit as it is, as the other guys have said, you'd be struggling to fit the 1hz. Good idea though, go for it! (especially with a turbo bolted on the side)
Old 17-05-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Maybe this would be a good start. The exhaust is on the right side.http://cgi.ebay.com.au/4JH1-Diesel-R...item335d343d30

Isuzu make a pretty good engine.. mmm not sure if the gearbox would bolt etc. But would be a nice combo
Old 17-05-2010
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

If you think you can simply mount a turbo on a non turbo engine- yes you can- for a limited time.
You ask for trouble because non turbo engine don't have a oil jet to cool the underside of the pistons.
Turborods and -pistons are able to withstand higher heat and pressure peaks...
It will be a question of time when it will break.

The 4bt won't fit- very compact, but way to high.

I have a VM and its capable to push 160hp with a flick of a switch.
But some preparations have to be done to gurantee durability and longevity- Thats a fact.
Old 18-05-2010
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildo View Post
Nothing wrong with swapping in a better engine, there is a long history of this in Jeepin circles.
The Yoda 4 would give you a reliable, economic donk with readily available cheap service parts.
Not so sure about this. The little yota diesels often suffer the same fate as it seems VM's do -- people cook 'em Notorious for it, in fact - just go have a look over on the Surf forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xauterus View Post
The 3 litre turbo diesel engine out of the later hilux would probably be a great engine. I think its called the 3KZ? too late at night to remember.
Yup -- the 1KZ-TE 3.0ltr electronic injection Turbo Diesel. Go like the clappers. Now if you can get one of those into your heep, that'd be quite something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Are you still going on about XJ Diesels Gildo!!!!
It was terrible -- one ran over his dog. Or maybe that should be, rolled over his dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
If you think you can simply mount a turbo on a non turbo engine- yes you can- for a limited time.
You ask for trouble because non turbo engine don't have a oil jet to cool the underside of the pistons.
True, but the turbo off a yota 2.4 ltr is a very common bolt-on for the 2.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezelweazel View Post
I have a VM and its capable to push 160hp with a flick of a switch.
But some preparations have to be done to gurantee durability and longevity- Thats a fact.
Oh? What sort of preparations? I'd've thought the first thing to suffer if you start pushing more hp out than was designed for would be longevity!