Intake Resinator leaking oil - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-04-2013

What Jeep do I drive?: XH
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Intake Resinator leaking oil

Hi Guys,

Dealer today told me that the cause of the oil smear across the front of the engine is due to the Turbo Intake Resinator (Part #04861679AC) being porus and leaking.
$400 and 2 weeks from the USA plus $300 to fit it.

Been reading all the threads since but can't seem to find any reference to this from anyone.

I'm wondering if it is more likely the joint at the pipe back to the turbo?

Anyone come across this before or got any thoughts?

Thanks
Dave T
Old 21-04-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboken View Post
Hi Guys,

Dealer today told me that the cause of the oil smear across the front of the engine is due to the Turbo Intake Resinator (Part #04861679AC) being porus and leaking.
$400 and 2 weeks from the USA plus $300 to fit it.

Been reading all the threads since but can't seem to find any reference to this from anyone.

I'm wondering if it is more likely the joint at the pipe back to the turbo?

Anyone come across this before or got any thoughts?

Thanks
Dave T
Did the dealer degrease the area and check following a run?

The standard intercooler pipes are porous, could be a joint if excessive. Start with the cheap parts.

Many silicon hoses are porous to oil, found that out with the provent hoses.

The Turbo Intake Resonator is also available from http://www.factorymoparparts.com/04861679ac.html

Last edited by GPCDR; 21-04-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Old 21-04-2013

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks GPCDR, yep the dealer cleaned it down and ran it till they found the source. I had also been looking and was pretty sure it was coming from that area.
I don't really understand what this intake resinator does and why there's oil inside it (I'm no mechanic). Is that part of this whole discussion about Provent filters to catch the oil in the turbo system?
Either way the factorymoparparts price of $188US is a bunch better than the dealer $400 thanks. I'll give them a call to make sure it includes whatever gaskets or orings are needed. Guess I'll get the hoses / pipes connecting to it as well to be sure.
Dave T
Old 21-04-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yep, provent to reduce oil through the intake system. A GDE tune shuts off the EGR valve stopping the problem. How many Km on the XH? Did the dealer remove it and clean out the inside?

Last edited by Clarky; 24-04-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 21-04-2013

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

123k on it, the dealer first mentioned it at 110k service (bought the car with 107k on it). No they didn't remove it, all they've done is cleaned it up and said that's the problem. I've got the GDE tune from Stu (as well as the lift and snorkel), I know it disables the swirl motor but didn't know it did the EGR valve as well.
A provent is on the list of "must get".
So if I'm reading this right perhaps my first action is to remove the intake resinator, clean it up inside, get a provent installed and see if the problem returns?
Thanks
Dave T
Old 21-04-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

That's what I would do, may have residual oil in it. I would also look into getting the intercooler cleaned out as well (if that's possible)
Old 22-04-2013

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks Clarky, so a cleaner engine via a provent for less money than replacing a part that potentially doesn't need replacing anyway !
Pretty simple decision.
Just gotta work out how to get the intercooler out, that looks like it's going to be fun.
Post New Thread  Reply