New member Introduction and WH purchasing help - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-08-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Default New member Introduction and WH purchasing help (Is this anyone's car?)

Hi All,

My name is Luke, I've been lurking here for 6 months or so, registered last month, and carefully making my first post just now, Hi! I'm looking to purchase my first 4x4, and after a lot of research on this forum, and abroad, I think I have decided on WH Grand Cherokee for my foray into off-roading.

I've always had 'street' cars, just sold my FG F6 ute, and previously had other cars like the Mazda6 MPS and a 300kW AWD U13 Bluebird (Pics Below). I became a father last year and I'm looking for a vehicle that can be enjoyed with my family.

I have a couple of questions that google hasn't been able to help me with; Firstly, is there a WH buyers guide anything like the ultimate WG guide on jeepforum.com? That guide alone is what led me to jeeps in the first place.

Secondly, and this is a long shot, was this vehicle owned by anyone on this forum? Gumtree Link. I went to test drive this car yesterday thinking it was a V8, but immediately fell in love with the CRD, what an awesome engine! It has a lift kit, which I think adds value, but I'm concerned about the VERY heavy duty tow pack, and electronic brake kit. It also had holes in the dash where it looks like a UHF may have been mounted. I'm leaning towards buying this car, having not even test driven the V8, but looking to hear opinions or experiences with a tow pack like this?

Thanks for the help in advance, hoping this is an appropriate section for such a post,

Luke.

Last edited by lwsjss; 26-08-2016 at 08:28 PM.
Old 27-08-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Welcome!

The "Common Faults and Issues" topic is probably the best place to start in-terms of what to look for;
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=75725

Plenty of WHs (especially CRDs.) will-have towed relatively heavy loads (compared to what you might be used-to with the cars in your photos.), and isn't necessarily a sign that the vehicle has been flogged or even had more wear-and-tear than average. The owner may have been a good smooth driver, towed infrequently, etc.

If you like V8s it'd probably be a good idea to find a 5.7 (hemi) for a test drive, just so you're not wondering.
The CRD and hemi are both excellent engine/trans combos.
CRD is definitely the pick for frequent towing (mainly just for fuel consumption.), and the extra range is always good for touring (especially with an AUX tank.).

If you don't need a tow vehicle, you might still like the hemi compared to the CRD. It's pretty-much exactly what a V8 should be; a big even wall of torque with no turbo lag, nice sound, reasonably smooth, etc, and good on fuel (for a big V thanks to the MDS system.

Also read-up about QD2 (quadra-drive 2) on here if you haven't already, and look for it on the cars you're looking at.
Old 27-08-2016
I just registered

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Hey James! Thanks for the link. I'll have a solid look through. Done a lot of reading on the QD2, correct me if I'm wrong, it's essentially auto lockers front and back. QT2 on the other hand uses the traction control system and brakes the wheels that don't have traction. QD2 is on my list of must haves.

Interesting you suggest the 5.7. Is this because the power from the 4.7 isn't much more than the CRD? I wont be doing much towing, but the tow bar is essential, as I'll drag a box trailer around occasionally.
Old 27-08-2016
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwsjss View Post
Hey James! Thanks for the link. I'll have a solid look through. Done a lot of reading on the QD2, correct me if I'm wrong, it's essentially auto lockers front and back. QT2 on the other hand uses the traction control system and brakes the wheels that don't have traction. QD2 is on my list of must haves.

Interesting you suggest the 5.7. Is this because the power from the 4.7 isn't much more than the CRD? I wont be doing much towing, but the tow bar is essential, as I'll drag a box trailer around occasionally.
Yeah QD2 is basically electronic lockers front and rear (for interests-sake QD2 on the newer WK grands only includes a locking diff in the rear, they dropped the front one but kept the name the same.). It's by-far the best auto-locking system in a production vehicle. They're "EGerodisc" diffs made by Eaton. Clever stuff, basically a clutch-pack LSD, but with the preload applied via oil pressure instead of springs, and the oil pressure controlled via an electronic solenoid.

It's also active in high-range, which is unreal on ice/packed snow with the traction control disabled (because you can keep smooth power going through all wheels, and the torque transfer is smooth, since it's a clutch instead've a mechanical lock or binding mechanism like a Torsen or Detroit.).

The 4.7 is a great engine too. But yeah there wasn't much price difference 2nd hand when I was looking, and the 5.7 just has more torque and similar economy (MDS works pretty well, read up about it.). It also seems to have gone through more refinement/investment and used successfully in a wider range of more vehicles, which is usually a good sign.

You wont even notice a box trailer behind the CRD or either V8s.
I tow ~3.5T every now and then and the hemi does it fine. The CRD would probably just do it a bit easier with less heat, trans shifts, unlocking torque converter, etc.

The tow bar receivers are reasonably easy to get hold of and easy to install, so don't stress if you're lucky enough to find a car without one.
Old 27-08-2016
I just registered

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm actually pretty pumped to have a play with the QD2, sounds like an immense system. What sort of cruising economy do you get from the Hemi?
Old 27-08-2016
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

If I was after an awesome weekend off roader with the occasional run around town the V8 Hemi would be my choice.

But I needed to compromise.

My CRD is my daily drive, my tug for the caravan, weekend with the boy's camping/4wding & the occasional long range tourer.

In stock form you will get around 10 per 100 with the CRD, mine with bigger more aggressive tyres, lifted, winch & bar gets 13 around town (I still have stock exhaust & no chip/tune).

Whatever you end up with you will love it (& your Nissota friends will think your mad).
Old 28-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 43 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post

Whatever you end up with you will love it (& your Nissota friends will think your mad).
I have a Nissota friend who thought I was mad Clarky but he just recently saw the light and now owns a 2014 WK2 CRD and loves it...he is always raving about it.....so much better than the Patrol and all that power!!
Post New Thread  Reply