Wiring installation diagram for redarc tow pro - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > WK WK2 Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-08-2016
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you for taking to time to reply to my problem , I will give my husband a look at this when he gets home from work. Obviously I have no idea where to start. Cheers
Old 11-08-2016
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi again I have just had a look at jeep battery under the seat, I can't see a white wire anywhere nor can I see a black ( that maybe there and I just can't see in the photo I took) there are red and orange wires that I can see. Does that make it any clearer as to the problem. How do I post a photo ?

Last edited by Susanne; 11-08-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2016
I just registered

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarky View Post
Here is a PDF
https://www.redarc.com.au/Content/Im...n%20Manual.pdf

White wire to Battery negative (-)
Black wire to Battery positive (+)
Blue wire to Van Brakes (pin 5 on plug)
Red wire to brake switch or brake light (the wire that powers up only when you put your foot on the brake)
http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/wiring-diagrams

Start by disconnecting the RED wire & see if the Jeep is back to normal.
If so then yes he has used the wrong brake light source.

Here is a post that may help
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=112201
Hi Clarky,

I'm just about to install one of these myself (can't afford $600 ) that the auto elecs seem to want to charge.

Doing a little research can't we just use one of these

This loom is from a Tekonsha P3 unit I think US eBay site. I believe the plug that connects into the brake controller is different to the Redarc, so wouldn't it be possible to simply cut off the Tekonsha plug and splice and solder the Redarc plug and wires to this loom?

Apparently Grand's have a plug under the dash that you simply plug this into and wallah you have your brake controller set up.

Cheers

Greg

Last edited by beetlejuice; 11-08-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-08-2016
I just registered

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I don't know about your 2016 Overland, but i have just spent 15 minutes in the drivers footwell of my 1 week old Overland and found nothing to plug that plug into?? I went to the listing on Ebay for the plug and when you enter 2015 or 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel it comes up with a message in RED, this product is not compatible?? There is a plug board on the right above the accelerator pedal (right side of OBD2 port) it has 5 plugs in it but certainly no spares, I can't see any of the shapes that match the plug in your photo, I would be happy if this was true but I vaguely recall this being discussed on the caravaners forum. I will certainly watch this thread with interest as the Auto Electricians i have spoken to want $600 just to wire in the controller i already own in.(a Tekonsha P3)

Last edited by ao767brad; 11-08-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-08-2016
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 125 Times in 103 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao767brad View Post
I don't know about your 2016 Overland, but i have just spent 15 minutes in the drivers footwell of my 1 week old Overland and found nothing to plug that plug into?? I went to the listing on Ebay for the plug and when you enter 2015 or 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel it comes up with a message in RED, this product is not compatible?? There is a plug board on the right above the accelerator pedal (right side of OBD2 port) it has 5 plugs in it but certainly no spares, I can't see any of the shapes that match the plug in your photo, I would be happy if this was true but I vaguely recall this being discussed on the caravaners forum. I will certainly watch this thread with interest as the Auto Electricians i have spoken to want $600 just to wire in the controller i already own in.(a Tekonsha P3)
http://www.tekonsha.com/support/inst...on/N3045-P.pdf

Here's where it might be (US model shown) - take a look? Other threads on here do say however that it doesn't exist on our models.

If that plug is there it's pretty unlikely whoever installed the tow bar wiring connected a blue cable to somewhere they found a blue cable in the rear for the service brakes.

Last edited by SnakeDoctor; 11-08-2016 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-08-2016
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

There is no shortcut to fitting a brake controller. The install is straight forward but time consuming.
Do your research, there is heaps of info out there to guide you through the job.

Don't attempt it if you are not confident, you are dealing with your safety, your family's safety & the safety of the general public.
Old 11-08-2016
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlejuice View Post
Hi Clarky,

I'm just about to install one of these myself (can't afford $600 ) that the auto elecs seem to want to charge.

Doing a little research can't we just use one of these

This loom is from a Tekonsha P3 unit I think US eBay site. I believe the plug that connects into the brake controller is different to the Redarc, so wouldn't it be possible to simply cut off the Tekonsha plug and splice and solder the Redarc plug and wires to this loom?

Apparently Grand's have a plug under the dash that you simply plug this into and wallah you have your brake controller set up.

Cheers

Greg
Don't waste your time....the export vehicles we get do NOT have the brake controller plug in any model. It exists in US vehicles only.
Refer back to earlier posts for wiring methods.
John