Are Duratracs worth the extra cash? - Page 2 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Technical
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-05-2013
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisadu View Post
I didnt know toyo's were cheap crappy brands?
I always thought toyo's like their open country M/T and their track tyres like the proxes were VERY good tyres and are just expensive?
Sorry, meant cheap or crappy. Toyo really don't offer a decent AT, they are very road biased and as I said I'm not looking for a muddy. So I suppose they aren't even in either category.

I realise DC's are sold by Bob Jane but have you tried to geta set of 31's. Have been asking around for 4 months and even contacted the importers and even they don't know if there is going to be another shipment from the states.

M
Old 11-05-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Just import whatever you want directly from the states yourself.

www.onlinetires.com has the Duratracs in 285/70r17 that I want for $211 each at the moment (normal price $253 each). Out here the RRP for the same tyre is around $540, best street price I have found is around $430 each, when GoodYear have their 4 for the price of 3 they work out at $402 each for 4 (or $536 each for 3 plus one free).

Freight from the US is $35 per tyre using www.ustoaus.com (same price if a rim is fitted as it goes by dimensions not weight) plus there will be GST as its over the $1000 mark for me but since it made in the US there is no duty charges.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 11-05-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-05-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

onlinetires.com
Holy crap
That is ridiculously cheap even with GST on top.
I was quoted for $340 each and these guys have them at $143.88.
I don't care what Gerry Harvey thinks, that is a stupid markup, and I'm getting a set, maybe more and flog them off here.

I don't want to harp on about the DC's but I have even tried to get them sent over but the wholsalers over there have been instructed not too do so as they are sooooo exclusive that even Bob jane can't get them.

M
Old 11-05-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by minmark View Post
onlinetires.com
[B]Holy crap[/B
I don't want to harp on about the DC's but I have even tried to get them sent over but the wholsalers over there have been instructed not too do so as they are sooooo exclusive that even Bob jane can't get them.

M
What a load of crap...My work mate just bought a set 2 weeks ago. He said Bob Jane had tonnes of stock. Your store must just not want too
Old 11-05-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisadu View Post
I didnt know toyo's were cheap crappy brands?
I always thought toyo's like their open country M/T and their track tyres like the proxes were VERY good tyres and are just expensive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSE3.9 View Post
I too did a double take at the mention of Toyos as being a "cheap crappy" tyre Thisisadu.

I have a set of Toyo ATs fitted to my Range Rover and find them to be fantastic. I can feel the tyre rubber cushioning the ride which is very different experience when compared to other tyre brands I have previously fitted. I'd like to fit a set to my Wrangler and sooner rather than later so I probably won't wait until the factory fitted Silent Armour Wranglers wear out.

No idea on longevity with the Toyos yet and I haven't had any stone punctures. This resistance/imperviousness to stone punctures is a major requirement with any tyres I purchase.
From all reports I have only heard good about Toyo's. When I was searching and asking the questions Toyo's came up in the mid price range. However from all reports the cost per KM is about the same as the cheaper tyres as they get good tyre life. As for Duratracs I hate anything Goodyear. I might be biased but I have seen stock Goodyear's car radials and Jeep stockies flex like hell in the sidewalls and have seen them pop beads at Jambo. I can only assume the duratracs don't have the same issues if people are raving about them????
On another note I air towards caution on getting any tyres that are rare or need to be imported. I have seen new tyres spiked, therefore rendered useless. Given that if one was spiked the chances of getting another one at the right price is going to be bloody hard. I wanted to get Micky T's but was warned against them for that very reason. You head anywhere remote and see how long it takes to get a rare tyre. Given that my next purchase will be Big Horns pretty much anyone tyre place can get them. And I have never head of a supply issue with anything Maxxis. You get US tyres and the supply can be 8 weeks behind. Trust me I wanted Bridgstone Duelers 2 years ago but could not wait 8 weeks for the new shipment to arrive.

EDIT. Just seen response re Toyo's. Good tyres but yes I agree more of street tyre than an agressive AT.

Regards A

Last edited by anthonygubbin; 11-05-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisins78 View Post
What a load of crap...My work mate just bought a set 2 weeks ago. He said Bob Jane had tonnes of stock. Your store must just not want too
Nope, Fair dinkum.
Phoned 4 stores from Bris to Gympie and importers. None in Aus. They are able to get particular sizes but others are just not even on the planet.
Old 31-05-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 75 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I too am looking for something abit more agressive than a standard AT but my problem is I'm sticking to 'legal' sizes on my XJ for now. So here in SA it 235/75 R15's

I was looking at the Copper ST's but have heard a couple of people complain about them. What re their issues exactly?

Looks like I'll be stuck with standard AT's unless I want to go the MT route Sodding! road regs!
9000lb Winch
Post New Thread  Reply