WK2: BMackin Build & Adventure - Page 8 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > Jeep build up
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-04-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachy View Post
Don't know what is on other/earlier WK2s or if it just the photos but that looks like what is on my MY13 Overland
Is yours soft and flexible or hard? Maybe all MY13 vehicles have this, not just the Trailhawk!

Well mine will get a good test this weekend @ the LCMP O'nite Trip (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=123755) and then another test when the wife and I head down to Coffs for 10 days from May 2 - May 12th (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=124427).
Old 17-04-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeyWKCRD View Post
Mine too. The underbody protection for a $60+ 4WD is woeful. My last car was a Suzuki Grand Vitara Prestige ($38K) and it had full underbody protection front to rear included.

Anyway, I've posted photos of this on another thread. I ended up making a replacement part out of fiberglass that can do me until a metal version becomes available.
Cheers,
Clarkey.
Cool fabrication! It seems like one of us needs to take ours to a metal fabricator and have a metal one built. I really should've done that instead of giving the dealer $500 for this one! Doh!
Old 17-04-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackin View Post
Is yours soft and flexible or hard? Maybe all MY13 vehicles have this, not just the Trailhawk!

Well mine will get a good test this weekend @ the LCMP O'nite Trip (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=123755) and then another test when the wife and I head down to Coffs for 10 days from May 2 - May 12th (http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...d.php?t=124427).
It fairly stiff and firm- I don't think it would stand up to any thing solid but it would certainly deflect any thing small thrown up against it. Will have to have a look at my mates 2011 and see if it is different - will let you know. I have had a bird strike and it was still ok - admittedly it was a small bird (flock of wild budgies at 90-100k's).

Last edited by Roachy; 17-04-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 19-04-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I installed the side rails for my Rhino Rack Pioneer Tray this week. I was also able to mount my spare, hi-lift jack and gas bottle up there. I'm still waiting on my Rhino Rack Small Luggage Bag to go on the front of the tray.

When I realised the tray weighs 20kgs and my spare tire weighs 38kgs, I started to get a bit worried about the 68kgs weight limit. Realising I would be over the limit, I researched tow hitch spare tire carriers as well as all the information I could find about the roof weight limit. After lots of internet searching and some helpful advice from Rocky Road Outfitters in the US, this is what I found. If your roof rack/tray is mounted to the bolts in the roof and NOT to the stock rails you should be fine to slightly exceed the 68kgs limit without damaging the roof or having anything fly off. The roof is made to withstand 4xGVM for rollover protection and is definitely capable of holding more than 68kgs. RRO regularly puts well over 68kgs on the roof with their racks. Having said that, you should be very careful putting any significant weight on the roof of your car. It drastically changes the weight distribution of your car, (i.e. making you top heavy).

This weekend will be the first off-road test with everything up top. I'll report back on how things go.

Here are a few photos:

Last edited by bmackin; 14-10-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 20-04-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

great build. the car looks great with the muddies on it. i especially like the rock rails.

we got the trailhawk that has the rock rails without the step, but i will be getting the step tube fabricated shortly so the kids and mrs can get in and out a bit easier.
Old 20-04-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 83 Times in 46 Posts

I'll be interested to see what you think of the wind noise with all that up top, my cage was bloody awful!
Old 21-04-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 144 Times in 90 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmackin View Post
Cool fabrication! It seems like one of us needs to take ours to a metal fabricator and have a metal one built. I really should've done that instead of giving the dealer $500 for this one! Doh!
You could prowl over here http://www.jeepgarage.org/f190/front...2-52330-3.html and check out posts #27 and #28.
A PM might get you a bit further....
John