Replacing a radio/cassette player with a CD/MP3 player - Page 4 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2017
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 1,080 Times in 692 Posts

I was also looking at the flip up style single din stereo for the XJ. Could not find a model that did not interfere with the top of the dash. So, i looked at fitting a double din stereo. I wanted one with all the fruit. Reversing camera, gps, dvd etc..
You need 100mm of height to fit one in. With the pre-update XJ, there is no way to get a double din to fit without some serious dremel work.

You have to create a cut out in the central air vent so that you can drop the control panel down. The reason you have to create a void in the lower vent is because the contol panel has a lump of plastic under it which will not allow it to go down far enough unless you make the cut out.
You can use a dremel to cut out the vent and then make a small drop down box to insert.. then use aluminium tape to seal it all up.

You also need to reduce the size of the vent tube at the back of the void. This tube sends air to the windshield. This can be cut down with the dremel and aluminium tape applied to reduce its thickness. This gives you the depth to fit your double din stereo.

So, you have made your drop down tray, taped it up, cut back your vent tube and taped it up, fitted the control panel in its new lowered position and it should all look roughly like this...

You can then wire up your double din stereo and fit it like the one below.
Once its all fitted up, you will have to use your dremel to slot out the facia panel to suit.

And there you have it. Its not easy but its a mod i always wanted to do...
Old 12-01-2017
Yeah I bought another one

Liked 93 Times in 58 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

All very useful info.
Had not thought of using aluminium tape but that is what is used in AC ducts everywhere.
Did the changes in the wind screen duct affect demisting at all?
1x Jeep trailers.
1x Empty Wallet.
Old 12-01-2017
AJOR Gold

Both ducts work fine.

Cheers
Old 12-01-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
I was also looking at the flip up style single din stereo for the XJ. Could not find a model that did not interfere with the top of the dash. So, i looked at fitting a double din stereo. I wanted one with all the fruit. Reversing camera, gps, dvd etc..
You need 100mm of height to fit one in. With the pre-update XJ, there is no way to get a double din to fit without some serious dremel work.

And there you have it. Its not easy but its a mod i always wanted to do...
full of good ideas bra..your vehicle looks mad, think I might do this mod too, thx for good pics & sharing info
Old 11-10-2017
AJOR Gold

Been a while since i have been on the site. Lots of projects going on.

Anyway, i will have to post up some pics, as i have good hosting through my OneDrive account.

I installed another double din head unit a few days ago. Its brilliant. Has GPS with Ozzie maps, reverse camera (working well), DVD, radio etc.. All working well. But.... here's one for the auto leckies... If i turn the XJ off, then turn it to accessories......no problem. If i go from accessories and get out the car and lock it all up and then get back in and turn it back to accessories or ignition on... no problem. If i start the car, its like i disconnected the battery. I have to turn the radio on, The radio looses all its preset radio stations, DVD starts back from the beginning etc. Its a pain.

I am using the original Jeep plug, with an ISO adapter. The adapter plugs into the original XJ plug and converts all the wiring to modern ISO standards. The stereo i got has an ISO plug, so its very easy. Yellow constant power wire OK, red switched acc wire OK, earth OK. Stereo memory stays OK when car is running and ignition key is turned off. It only looses everything when cranking car.

I have heard that the cranking can reduce power to accessories and thus stereo will turn off. But its like ALL power has been shut off to the stereo (like disconnecting the battery) and it factory resets.

Has anyone had this? Can this be resolved with a capacitor and diode on the acc wire, or both red and yellow power wires?

Cheers,
Alex
Old 11-10-2017
Full Flexer

Liked 640 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbrown64 View Post
Yellow constant power wire OK, red switched acc wire OK, earth OK. Stereo memory stays OK when car is running and ignition key is turned off. It only looses everything when cranking car.

I have heard that the cranking can reduce power to accessories and thus stereo will turn off. But its like ALL power has been shut off to the stereo (like disconnecting the battery) and it factory resets.

Has anyone had this? Can this be resolved with a capacitor and diode on the acc wire, or both red and yellow power wires?
Cheers,
Alex
My approach would be to backprobe & use a test light on constant power (and accessories too)..if you lose power on constant, I would run a wire direct from battery thru firewall
Old 17-10-2017
AJOR Gold

Thanks AWG, when i get a chance i will rip the dash apart again and check the voltage drop across the yellow and red wires. I will either run a wire and fuse directly to battery or add a capacitor and diode to existing wire.

Cheers,