Blown up my CRD - Page 21 - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 15-01-2009
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomart View Post
I searched the web for merc 3.0l engine failures but came up empty.
So wether this is a isolated case or just that the engine is still to 'new' I dont know.
There is anoughter one and was posted by Oldgringo same thing and guess what he had a chip installed as well starting to see a pattern here.
Thread is here
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...ad.php?t=78477

Have read of the FAQ from DP supplier/maker
Here

http://www.dpchip.com.au/faq.html#warranty
To increase your engine output is all well and good but these are stock standard motors not race motors with forged pistons etc etc theres a reason why these race motors cost a lot of money they have components that can haddle the extra power etc, expecting a standard motor to haddle this is wrong think people have to reliese these are 3.0L Diesel motors not bloody big block V8s. To putout that much power from a 3.0L diesel as standard is bloody impressive and is the reason i brought one (+ the drive train is magic,not to happy about the interior but).
The second thing is warrenty, 110,000 is outa warrenty 99,999 is under warrenty pretty simple. Pay 2G and extend warrenty pretty good insurance.
jenkomagic looks like it going to cost ya or maybe ask DP to pay after all they say they cover the engine and drive train, and ask DP if there chip increases Boost as well as extra FUEL to the cylinders would be nice to konow how these things work.

Last edited by freshwater; 15-01-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: found something in my shoe
Old 15-01-2009
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Yeah Id forgotten about that one.Was more looking to see if any stock 3.0L have gone bang.
I dont thing there is enough evidence to show theres anything wrong with the motor or car ,so shouldnt affect buyers decisions.
There is evidence to show some diesel performance 'chips' could cause problems tho.
Old 15-01-2009
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

The Mercedes CRD range is one of the best and most reliable on the Market...... You could count the number of Merc CRD's that have failed on one hand......

The $77k Quote has emerged for several reasons im guessing.

1: Who ever has to get stuck with the brain damage of replacing Jenko's engine wants to make sure there is enough $$ Money in the Job so that while its under its 1yr/xxxx km replacement engine warranty if anything else happens its not going to cost the dealership/department even more money.

2: Know one really wants to take on the Job

3: More than likely Know one has ever had to replace one of these 3lt CRD's yet so they don't know what other issues may arise..

For the people that got scared off to Buy a Merc CRD because of this thread, ride a push Bike cause the Automotive future is looking pretty scary for you... (Can't wait till all our cars are Electric Ya'll gonna Freak! )

Easy answer Dont Mess with cars Power Out puts if your not prepaired to pay for the damage it may cause....... CRD + Powerchip = Bad time
Old 15-01-2009
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hemi - mate I normally agreed with you on most issues, and haven't made any comment on this issue, however....

"For the people that got scared off to Buy a Merc CRD because of this thread, ride a push Bike cause the Automotive future is looking pretty scary for you... (Can't wait till all our cars are Electric Ya'll gonna Freak! ) "

Mate, I can't afford a new car and most likely won't in the near future, so my beasts will always have a few k's on them. I accept that with time I may need to replace a motor however if you are suggesting that I may end up paying $77k then you must be mad!

I accept your other points, but if you don't raise your eyebrows at the quoted replacement engine cost I wish I had your coin mate.

I'm thinking I like the old fashioned V8 petrol motor more and more.
Old 15-01-2009
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Jeep View Post
Hemi - mate I normally agreed with you on most issues, and haven't made any comment on this issue, however....

"For the people that got scared off to Buy a Merc CRD because of this thread, ride a push Bike cause the Automotive future is looking pretty scary for you... (Can't wait till all our cars are Electric Ya'll gonna Freak! ) "

Mate, I can't afford a new car and most likely won't in the near future, so my beasts will always have a few k's on them. I accept that with time I may need to replace a motor however if you are suggesting that I may end up paying $77k then you must be mad!

I accept your other points, but if you don't raise your eyebrows at the quoted replacement engine cost I wish I had your coin mate.

I'm thinking I like the old fashioned V8 petrol motor more and more.
'

Hahaha na thats not the way im thinking at all.... I dont want to Jump to any conclutions but i would be pretty confident that the 3lt engine cost no where near that to replace, i would be thinking more around the 20-25k range and what CJ are trying to do is not pay a Dollar to get Jenko's car on the road... And Yes if thats the case some may think its Crazy but thats the big bad world we live in these days.....

No engine in a production car under $100,000 cost 77k to replace/rebuild or anything... Gzzz you could buy a 8000hp Top Fuel Keith Black Hemi for $77,000

There are a few facts in this case that no matter how much they "Sux" they still remain an issue

Car is Out of warranty - and its by 10,000kms
And its been Fitted with an aftermarket Modification that will/can cause engine wear at a greater rate....

The 77k quote is a scare off quote/or a Quote and Hope - The only person that losses out is the owner of the Car thats " OUT OF WARRANTY" sad but true

New 2 Jeep - I understand that Money is an issue for everyone however people need to understand when they are owners of cars such as Jeeps, Jaguar's Hummers, Mercedes Benz BMW ect ect Issues like this will surface from time to time.

The main thing i was refering to is buy people reading into this thread and taking it all as Gospal with out doing any research them selfs.... All the people that think these engine's cost 77K are not very well educated when it comes to the motor industry and should realise there is more to learn other that what a minority type on a key board and post on a forum

Hemi
Old 15-01-2009
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,926 Times in 2,318 Posts

Isn't this a great thread. Great views and real information, Mr Extreme has really put together a great post while Hemi as always measures things out well and many others have put their points across quite well, what the outcome is well we just may have to wait for the Easter Bunny.

So 3yrs/100,00K, my WG 2.7 is 3yrs old but has done only 65,000K, I don't have a warranty problem, or do I????? I have a dealers (not Jeep) 2yr warranty and I bet if mine croaks it, it will be a battle royal to get any work done.

Jenko I would forget the hassle and sell it for parts or buy a new engine from that Brisbane mob, life is too short for the grief. Ask any VET.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.

Last edited by drover; 15-01-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 15-01-2009
Poly Performance Junkie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My last comment on this topic is that I feel for Jenkos situation and 1 engine in probably 1 million (Merc and Jeep) is rare and should be treated that way as I think hundreds of people worldwide have had a chip installed in the WH/WK/XH/XK as well.

No one expects an engine to fail just outside the warranty period at all regardless if it was chipped, had an aftermarket air cleaner, snorkel, headers and exhaust fabbed etc.

I enjoyed all the varied opinions of the Jeep community on this subject and thats what makes this forum one of the better ones as you can voice what you feel, have a vent, push your point of view, make assumptions and usually about something you have never driven and never will

I hope a resolution comes for the better and all parties move on.

JTO