Alternator with a bit more juice - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 74 Times in 68 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Alternator with a bit more juice

I am planning to upgrade my alternators on my CRD, since I am planing to use my Jeep with a camping trailer with an Anderson connector to the batteries. Had issues before with my V8 (as you might recall) and I want to avoid that my set up is setting my Jeep on fire.

I found some older threats with some links but most of them are outdated.

Which one is the best to go for? I found one with 180 Amps as well as one with 220 Amps. I would go for the 220 Amp one if it would fit and it is guaranteed that it does not screw anything up.

Bodgie was writing about the Mercedes Sprinter alternator but he did not mentioned which one and where he got it from.
Old 07-11-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 544 Times in 264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoergM View Post
I am planning to upgrade my alternators on my CRD, since I am planing to use my Jeep with a camping trailer with an Anderson connector to the batteries. Had issues before with my V8 (as you might recall) and I want to avoid that my set up is setting my Jeep on fire.

I found some older threats with some links but most of them are outdated.

Which one is the best to go for? I found one with 180 Amps as well as one with 220 Amps. I would go for the 220 Amp one if it would fit and it is guaranteed that it does not screw anything up.

Bodgie was writing about the Mercedes Sprinter alternator but he did not mentioned which one and where he got it from.
Mmmm. I am no auto-eleccy but here goes.

When my JKU needed a new alternator (OEM spec = 160A) I looked at more powerful ones like 220A but settled eventually for the same 160A as OE. Why? Well, I tow a small car and a small trailer (not at the same time of course) and I have a second battery and solar panel connected. The 160A alternators have done well without a problem up til this time. The OE alternator died because they can and do.

The problem with a bigger alternator could be a fire risk cos putting more power thru thin-ish OE wiring throughout the vehicle that is not intended for heavier current loads. I am speculating here since I am not an auto-eleccy.

To ensure maximum current flow to and from power system for your trailer etc and fridge etc and from solar panels, the key is to use big diameter wires. I use re-purposed wire from battery charge cables. These r cheaper to buy than copper cabling on its own. And I always protect the cables with that black sheath tubing stuff to prevent rubbing on bare metal and potential sparking and fires. My set up has worked trouble free for 15 years.

Hope this helps. Please let me know where I am wrong.

Last edited by humdingerslammer; 07-11-2022 at 06:37 AM.
Old 07-11-2022
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 63 Times in 46 Posts

There are a couple of choices for the Diesel.

-150A Alternator from the Chrysler PT cruiser (has a Merc engine with the correct mounting and (!) with the correct (external) Regulator.

-The Sprinter models (the ones with 180 and 220A) have a different regulator mounted. Be careful here, the Pins do have a differnt purpose here (Com, LIN)
Con: very pricey for what they offer.

Problem is already the old version of the Diesel alternator- it is difficult to get a standard regulator. I bought the last three remaining ones in germany directly from Bosch.

If your are willing to kick the AC compressor you can also fit a second alternator down there. With a combiner you can go as high as 300A.
Have in mind that the ECM is controlling charge and voltage. So a bigger unit ist working in dependency of the battery. The Battery and the consumers demand the current- not the alternator. The alternator is just delivering according to the needs.

Bigger alternators do have a different sized regulator mounted. The standard regulator will not fit.

Last edited by Deezelweazel; 07-11-2022 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-11-2022
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

I've been using a 180amp sprinter alternator for years without issue. It's a dumb alternator in comparison to the Jeep alternator but supply it 12 volts to the correct pin and you'r good to go.

It' will through a P0702 code though but it doesn't create any issues.

Jason
Old 08-11-2022
Full Flexer

Interesting, I didn't want to deal with any codes.
Therefore I stepped back from the high output alternators.
150A is okay for me. The PT cruiser has an electric foldable roof- for that reason the alternator has a bit more omph.
Old 09-11-2022
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 274 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Do you have a part number for that alternator?
Old 09-11-2022
Full Flexer

Sure thing, it's a Bosch alternator:
0124 615 032
14V 90A during idle, 150A at rated speed
6 ribbed pulley 50mm diameter.

I do not use the 50mm pulley. I do use an overdrive pulley to bump speed a bit, I do not rev the engine a lot.