5.5" Lift Steering/Trackbar Mods!!! - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-10-2010
AJOR Gold

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts
Default 5.5" Lift Steering/Trackbar Mods!!!

okay, so i am down to the last issue with this 5.5" lift: the harsh steering linkage angles and getting the trackbar parallel. i can see my setup is slightly out of sync and while i don't have severe bumpsteer (just a small bit which is livable) i do have rubbing issues with the tie rod end on the swaybar bracket and the draglink rubbing on the stabilizer (both of which are common). these two things are easy enough to fix but before that is going to happen i need to alleviate the stress on the tie rod end at the pitman arm - im almost sure if the left front tire drops into a hole its going to possibly snap (its already beyond its range of travel on flat ground).

so after talking to a few folks including Mr Wooders and looking at the options (which are very few for RHD 5.5" lifts) im coming to the conclusion that an otk flip setup isnt going to work. while this would raise everything up to help with the rubbing and over-extension of the pitman tre it will undoubtedly produce a dead spot in the center of the steering which i want to avoid. as well i dont think the otk tre will clear the inside of the wheel (although id buy new rims if i thought this was doable). at first i was going to try this arrangement using a Rugged Ridge HD LHD OTK setup but Woods told me they just tried it and it didnt work (had a dead spot). so cancelled that idea quickly. next option is to either drop the trackbar at the frame &/or raise it at the axle (ala GoJeep) OR put some drop in the pitman and custom fab the trackbar to match the resulting angle. i have a feeling a drop pitman and custom trackbar brackets at both ends are the cure.

so the question is who has successfully sorted this on their 5.5" or bigger lift? i know a few of you have recently done this lift so how did you go on and offroad?

so im just wondering what everyones thoughts are before i proceed with one of two plans half cocked.

here's some pics of my current setup: custom adjustable trackbar (heimed at both ends) and custom drop bracket with what im told is a shorter than stock pitman arm. i have a longer 3.5" pitman arm ready to fit which is supposedly the stock length (i have my doubts about which is stock and which isnt but im not going to argue - some clarification here would be helpful)

thoughts people?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020797.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	43173   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020798.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	43174   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020799.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	43175  
Old 16-10-2010
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is wot i would do or i should say have donehttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...t=98187&page=2
If you use this knukle with lh knukle and your steering set up you end up with a high steer set up and factory pitman arm.

Last edited by B-RAD; 16-10-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Old 17-10-2010
AJOR Gold

B-RAD
Quote:
This is wot i would do or i should say have donehttp://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...t=98187&page=2
If you use this knukle with lh knukle and your steering set up you end up with a high steer set up and factory pitman arm.

i like it but is way too expensive for the knuckle(s) and new linkages. id also question whether the trackbar and draglink would be parallel although thats probably easy enough to sort if required. eliminating the trackbar would be even more expensive (but id LOVE to do it!)

i have thought of another possible solution to work in conjunction with one or both of my plans: a hd angled tre at the pitman arm (to help with the severe angle/over extension). i saw one in my research yesterday but was for the knuckle end of an aftermarket hd draglink (thicker diameter etc...). surely somewhere out there someone sells an angled tre that would fit the draglink collar and the pitman arm (if not for a Jeep then some other application). could probably weld a sleeve into the collar to accept whatever diameter and thread pitch. the trackbar, stabilizer and swaybar brackets would need to be modded but i think that is going to happen anyway.
Old 17-10-2010
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

I raised the stabilizer mount and the next job is to raise the swaybar mounts to stop the tierod end rubbing on it at full lock (like you're experienced).

I like the idea of the angled tierod end at the pitman arn but does the draglink rotate at all as an angled pitman arm wouldn't allow the rotation? I hope that question makes sense.

Cheers
Steve
Old 17-10-2010
AJOR Gold

Steve F
Quote:
I raised the stabilizer mount and the next job is to raise the swaybar mounts to stop the tierod end rubbing on it at full lock (like you're experienced).
yep, exactly my plan but need to sort the pitman/tre/draglink/trackbar first so i know how high the stabilizer and swaybar brackets need to be. no sense doing it now until that is sorted.

Quote:
I like the idea of the angled tierod end at the pitman arn but does the draglink rotate at all as an angled pitman arm wouldn't allow the rotation? I hope that question makes sense.
the draglink does rotate a bit but would continue to do so as the angled tie rod end will still have a ball type joint at both ends of the draglink (like stock). a downward bend in the pitman tre would still allow rotation (i may have misunderstood the question tho). i do worry that too much angle might change the angle of the draglink to the trackbar as it rotates and induce minor bumpsteer but think it would be so slight it wouldnt be a bother. it wouldnt be much more angle than the draglink bend at the knuckle (which also changes the angle as it rotates. anyone concur?

heres a link to Currie that sells the tie rod end style i am thinking of...just need to find a way to attach it to the pitman arm and draglink collar. this is a very beefy unit so im thinking the taper on the pitman arm would be bigger maybe. a sleeve would have to be welded into the collar to accept the larger diameter and match the thread pitch.

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=1221

another idea i have kicked around for years is to somehow get a johnny joint to connect the pitman arm to the draglink (like the custom trackbar). im still researching this and im not sure how doable it is.
Old 17-10-2010
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

If there is a bend in the tierod and it rotates wont it try and swing backwards and forwards as it rotates? Take an L shape (bent tierod to the extreme) and rotate through one of the ends of the 'L' to see what I mean. Of course I could be confused and be all wrong about this.

Cheers
Steve
Old 17-10-2010
AJOR Gold

i think your confused and all wrong LMAO! but maybe so am i ROFLMAO!

seriously tho Steve, both style tres (stock vs bent) will rotate fore and aft (and side to side). remember, the tie rod joint can move in a circular pattern. so i dont think it would be a problem as far as rotation goes - the bend will just rotate with the rest of the tre and draglink. also, if this was a prob i doubt currie would be selling one. just my thinking but anyone is welcome to correct me if im wrong - and this is exactly why i started this thread in the first place so please post your comments! they are most welcome towards finding a solution once and for all. its about time we got this monkey off our backs

i must say that after doing over a hundred lifts this XJ RHD 5.5" is absolutely the HARDEST lift to sort yet! its more to do with the fact we cant get proper aftermarket parts at this height for rhd so means the old thinking cap is going to get used relentlessly coming up with custom solutions (and parts). its a terrible position to put oneself in but i knew it was going to happen when i started it (and yes, i dreaded the thought). but im sure it can be sorted with enough info and resources. this is becoming a more and more common lift so SOMEONE should capitalize on it. this situation applies to TJs as well (even at 4.5") so there IS a market! how many pitman tres have been replaced because NO ONE has a solution? its about time we stopped messing with ripped grease boots and prematurely worn tie rod ends putting slop in the steering. any vendors listening????

will be doing more research looking for a tie rod end with MORE range of motion &/or a bend to help with the stress. maybe between us folks on the forum we can do the same and find just the ticket to help everyone as im not going to hold my breath a vendor will suss it anytime soon (if ever)!