Should I go for it - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-10-2010
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: CJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Should I go for it

New guy, so hi..

Long story short, I have been ordered by her indoors to stop smashing our newish family 4x4 by trying things that it physically cant do........Pajero!

I have had my eye on a little CJ7 that has been sitting in this guys front yard for about a year unregistered.

I spoke to the guy and had a good look over it. Now what concernes me is that it now has a Ford 351 fitted coupled to the 3sp auto and was previously registered as a 4cyl 1961. I looked up the vin plate numbers (firewall) and it is actually a 1974!!

I understand that it may have had a tub change but will I get it registered here in Perth? The conversion looks to have been done okay but you can never find all the issues on a 5 minute look over can you.

The underside of the tub has a full new box frame welded to it to strengthen where the spacers from the chassis join, which has also been lifted 2inches from standard.

The new frame puzzles me because there is no real rust to speak of anywhere. I can get it for around $2500 what do you think.

I would plan on a near full stripdown anyway just to make sure it is safe
Old 19-10-2010
StaunStar

Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts

The money sounds right for a running V8 CJ.
Old 19-10-2010
Lowranger Shocker

Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts

post up some pics
if it's out of reg in WA you will need to do the whole engine change thing, engineered etc, but is do able if it is indeed a cj7......
Old 19-10-2010
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 71 Times in 41 Posts

Personally .... Unless it was registered in that configuration .....

I wouldnt touch it with a barge pole.

If there were accepted WA conversions such as Qld had for various vehicles of that age .... You would have to be able to prove when the conversion was done.

To get it registered in its current form .... Its probably as CJ6np435 stated.

All depends on how much you like it .... and how much money you want to throw at it.
Old 19-10-2010
CrawlerStar

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm no expert, but I think it would be a CJ6 or 5. Door size and dash may be good clues. Not sure if 7s were made in 74.
Old 19-10-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks so far,

I will get some pics and post them. What do you think of the new frame under the tub, is this something that you CJ owners have heard of before?

I guess if I buy it and cant get it registered I could either use it as a full time off roader, on private property of course!! or even sell it for parts.

I think using some JEDI mind tricks on the bloke I might be able to get it for near $2000.
Old 19-10-2010
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im very confused, this CJ also has the wiper blade/motor on the top of the screen....I thought that was only the very older CJ5 had that??

Vin reads....J4G935TB60395 also it says willys not Jeep on the rear tailgait.

To be honest it looks older than 1974 but I am no expert at the moment so I will get some pics and if we will see if you guys can help me solve it
Post New Thread  Reply