Wilful wipers and persistent park - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-02-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Wilful wipers and persistent park

First, let me set the scene. It was my wedding anniversary on Saturday and my good lady and I were spending the weekend in Port Fairy.

We had a dinner reservation for 7.15pm and at 6.00pm I parked at East Beach for a quick look at the surf. We returned to the JK and I started it to find that the wipers were going. I checked the wiper controls and they were off. I turned the ignition off, then started again; on came the wipers. I thought that I would just have to drive back with the wipers on but I could get out of park. Then I realised that the chimes were missing, even the key in the ignition/open door one.

After a couple more attempts, I gave up and called Jeep Assist. A pleasant young man advised me to retry all of things I had already tried, then said that there was nothing about this problem on record. He then arranged for someone to come out and have a look but it would take at least 45 minutes.

Our anniversary meal was starting to look a little shaky but I thought, "It's a computer problem, so what do they do on the IT Crowd? Turn the computer off and on again." I disconnected the battery, connected it again and everything was back to normal.

I cancelled the Jeep Assist call and got back to our unit with plenty of time to get to our anniversary dinner - and a very enjoyable night it was!

Has anyone else experienced this problem and is there anything I should do now?
Old 13-02-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I would call your dealer and tell them the full story and see what they say - with any luck there may be a record in the computer? Should be under warranty I would presume.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 14-02-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Did you read the diagnostic codes ?

Very helpfull information..... ( assuming your have printed the list and keep it in the toolbox.... whcih you do - don't you...... ).
Old 14-02-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I wonder if in the condition it was in if the would even read out the codes at the time. I have found recently that after a fault dissapeared the codes will no longer read out on my dash. They could however still be read out by the dealer.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 14-02-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

I suggest some of your electricals have migrated and are sitting next to something HOT !!!! get under ya bonnet and check, I ve had the random wiper thing a few times and a few cable ties sorted the problem out.
Old 14-02-2011
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had a similar thing happen a while ago driving home and Im sure I read someone else did as well. My wipers started doing some strange things and my stereo kept cutting in and out. Turned out to be in my case the plug going into the hard top worked loose. Might be something to check??
No Screaming!
You Puke Your Cleaning It!
Old 14-02-2011
No Winching

Liked 504 Times in 291 Posts

Yes - that's why its worth doing a DTC read AT THE TIME.

If there's nothing shown then you can tell the dealer that, if you get codes then you have them just in case they disappear down the track.
And lastly - you can then tell if the dealers spinning you a load of BS - if it says X is playin up and the dealer tells you Y.... then you know they have no idea either

The less information you pass to the dealer the more frustrated both you and they ar going to get.