Do you still use a 'stealer' for your vehicle service? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-02-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 187 Times in 119 Posts
Default Do you still use a 'stealer' for your vehicle service?

With my car now at the young age of 15 years, I must confess that I still use a dealership when it comes to servicing. Even though it is out of my way, I do drive it to one particular place each time whether it is for an oil change, or a major service

Do you still use a stealer for your vehicle servicing? I have seen many threads posted about overheating and starting issues and touch wood, I have never experienced any. I suspect these issues might be due to a combination of the car's age and the poor service history [perhaps from the original owner???]. Am I wrong?

The engine bay of the XJ is simple enough for any trained mechanic to sort out, but when it comes to trouble free running, I think the Stealer will always have the edge. I don't necessarily want to make a sweeping generalisation, because I have occasionally found probs that one stealer has not been able to resolve - which is why I found another premium dealership with an excellent head mechanic and have stuck with them.

I thought it might actually be awkward to take a 15yo car to a new car dealer for servicing, but the head mechanic actually told me that he prefers to see the XJs come in because they are a great vehicle to work on...

What are your views on stealer service? On the surface of the invoice, it appears like highway robbery, but is it?

Last edited by eksjay; 28-02-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 28-02-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 98 Times in 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksjay View Post
What are your views on stealer service? On the surface of the invoice, it appears like highway robbery, but is it?
I don't think there is anything wrong with it, different people will value things differently. For some the cost of the service wont be justifiable on a car of this age. I have pretty much self serviced mine while I have had it, but its a bit of a junker with a good heart so the service costs would probably have stacked up more than the initial purchase price by now! However some people hate working on cars so paying someone else to do it makes sense.
Old 28-02-2011
Symphony Composer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Some vehicles I buy because I enjoy tinkering with them. You get to know them better if you give you TLC. It was similar with my Ducati's. The carbies always needed playing with every weekend and I wouldn't give a 'Stealer' the satisfaction of playing with my toys. I don't share...
What's the point in buying an old (?) vehicle if your going to get someone else to look after it..

XJ V8 Build
Electric water pump
Old 28-02-2011
AJOR Gold

Liked 31 Times in 21 Posts

i think (no matter what car you own) that if you find someone that does the servicing you require properly then by all means use them whether it be a dealership or backyard mechanic. peace of mind justifies the cost although the dealership will always be more expensive due to their overhead. experience is something you pay extra for but duly note that all dealership tech crews are not created equal so some folks will find them worthwhile and some not too good at all. but once you find that "special" someone stick with them as there arent too many who can sort out 15 year old Jeeps with any degree of skill nor do most shops want to - their time is better spent on other more common brand names that can make them quick sales. remember, Jeep is a black sheep in Australia and is outnumbered 500 to 1 by Nissans, Toyotas, Mitsubishis, Land Rovers etc. a good tech is like finding a needle in a stack of needles
Old 28-02-2011
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

My local mechanic is great and I use him if I am pushed for time, he's a 5 minute walk away so I can drop the Jeep off and stroll home. Usually I do it all myself though, last time I used the mechanic was just before Jambo and I needed a front uni and hub changed but had no time to do it, I took the parts along though. I wouldn't bother with the dealer, to far and I doubt they see many XJ's these days anyway.

Cheers
Steve
Old 28-02-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i use an independent for my wife's car and my daily transport, but the Jeep i do myself,
Old 28-02-2011
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally, i hate even setting foot in the door of the stealership. After getting obscene quotes from them for some common parts i will do anything i can to avoid giving them any of my money. Wooders and rockauto are far superior for parts. I do most of the work myself and anything jeep specific that is above my head i take it to poly4x4.