Rear Articulation - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 22-03-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rear Articulation

Ok

Beel playing with the Suspension on the Jeep a bit on a friends hoist.

Droop on the front is limited only by the Shock Length with the Swaybar's out (not ideal I know, however am having some limiting straps made up so I can go longer shocks!).

But the Rear Flex still has a way to go before it exceeds the spring's capacity. Probably another 2-3 inches at the spring before it is about 1/2 way down the retaining cone (I have a Terraflex 1/4 Inch spacer with the retaining cone at the top and some spring retainers at the bottom of the spring). The shocks have 4-5 inches more travel left at "full flex" at the moment.

My question is, how can I get more travel out of the rear end?
Superlift Rockrunner LCA
ARB Bar
Old 22-03-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Sounds like you are being limited by the sway bar, though I dont recommend disconnecting both front and rear. Are you sayign that your springs are already a few inches unseated from the top? If so, there is no force pushing the axle down, just its own weight against the twisting of all the bushes and the swaybar. If I understand that correctly then longer springs may help.

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 22-03-2011
Full Flexer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry, no, spring's aren't fully articulated. They are still (comfortably) seated on the upper mount.
Superlift Rockrunner LCA
ARB Bar
Old 22-03-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Rear artication

I think we all have that issue to some degree. I found that if I removed the rear sway bar, it articulates fine.
Have you got longer end links
Does your sway bar end sit about flat or parallel when rig is on level ground.
You can also install blocks or spacers between your sway bar mounts and chassis. Your sway be can only twist so much, so these two things will help.
You can put in an adjustable sway bar in the rear, that you can adjust down when offroad effectively allowing your sway bar to twist more. I cannot remember the vender who makes these.
What size Rancho shocks do you have
Do you know the free height of your coils?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TassieMav View Post
Sorry, no, spring's aren't fully articulated. They are still (comfortably) seated on the upper mount.
Old 22-03-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=3562 alloy arms
http://www.currieenterprises.com/ces...t.aspx?id=2956 steel arms

this is the only rear swaybar solution for the JK which will not physically limit your suspension travel with the stock length control arms.

The stock rear swaybar will always limit travel regardless of how you set its end links or how far you drop it from the chassis. The end arms on it are just too short.
Old 22-03-2011
RubiconSlammer

Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

You will never get the same level of articulation out of the rear as the front, not without cutting brackets off and welding new ones on to take the arms you've had fabbed up.

The front arms are angled outwards at the chassis end which actually allow them to move naturally in an arc resulting in a greater range of movement prior to binding.

The rear arms are aligned fore and aft in line with the chassis and as a result will bind much earlier, hence less movement.

Yom demonstrated that removing the rear sway bar can improve the rear articulation but it really does come down to the stock geometry limiting the articulation.
Old 22-03-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Take a picture of your swaybar at full droop. Are the links near being straight? You really do not want them to invert.
Post New Thread  Reply