Rainbow Beach QLD + CRD-STU lift - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-10-2011
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Rainbow Beach QLD + CRD-STU lift

I have always enjoyed the road less travelled and chose to purchase a 2008 WH Grand Cherokee CRD 3.0 for my daily driver/weekend escape vehicle. While the wallet was open I was so impressed by Paul's write-up that I decided to see CRD STU for a set of his shocks, lift kit and his snorkle. Stu also recommended a guard to protect the power steering lines. The result is fantastic - a far better vehicle on the road (where it will spend most of its time) but with the extra clearance to allow me to go anywhere.

To try it out I last week went camping on the Bunya Mountains (and froze but luckily the rain and hail did not get into my tent) and after a few days each at Hervey Bay and Tin Can Bay ended up at Rainbow Beach.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Bigger tyres to come. It was my intention to take the Inskip Point ferry across to Fraser Island but having spent enough time camping in the rain the weather forecast persuded me to leave that for another day.
I did drive the 13kms north to Inskip Point for a look though, and be warned that where the seal ends there is a narrow track and heed the "Warning, Soft Sand Ahead" sign. The beach itself is soft sand which needs plenty of go to keep moving but the 100 metres transition from road to beach is a trap for young players. As an old dirt biker used to "walking it first" I would recommend this to any first time visitor.
Most of these vehicles are bogged. The "exit" is towards the left of the pic.
[IMG][/IMG]
...and turn to the right for a look at the ferry. Two ferries operate a continuous service.
[IMG][/IMG]
While walking past one Patrol + camper bogged hub deep in the sand with he at the wheel telling his other half, with their kids in the back, to sit there and shut up, and why did you tell me to "go now" when you did. The angry dad was the second of two vehicles, camper trailer attached, to attack the narrow access track only to have the first vehicle bauk and almost bog, but manage to carry on and clear the track. This caused the second, with the now angry dad at the wheel, to have to take his foot off with the predictable result.
After a look around Rainbow Beach and a visit to the park office for a permit it was on to the beach and heading south towards Double Island Point, so called because Capt Cook first thought that he was looking at two islands.

[IMG][/IMG]

And then the clouds rolled in.

First a sand storm, followed by a looong thunderstorm. Followed by more rain.

I had difficulty finding the Leisha Track which cuts across behind Double Island Point. At the other end of the track was a traffic jam with half bogged vehicles waiting for others to move on.
From here you will have to forgive the lack of pics. I stopped a few times - the Teewah Beach camping zone was like a main road with vehicles travelling both ways, all with lights on in the gloom as the thunder and lightning continued. All along the beach vehicles and tents camped above the high tide line at the edge of the dunes. I crossed a hundred patches of water flowing into the sea. Most were rain water I think. In the end I decided that camping in the rain again was not on the agenda and continued south into the non camping area towards the end of the beach. I found the way out onto the road which was easy compared to earlier challenges and stopped off at the car wash. Across the road was a facility to pump up the tyres (I had dropped the pressures to 25psi) and a short drive on to the ferry to Tewantin near Noosa.
[IMG][/IMG]
The biggest challenge was getting onto and off of the Leisha Track to avoid Double Island Point. Otherwise it was reasonably easy going but as it was the weekend there were a surprisingly large number of vehicles and people on the beach.
The Jeep performed flawlessly and I would have probably been in big trouble without Stu's 2 1/2 inch lift kit. Certainly I used the sump guard on more than a few occasions.
Old 17-10-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Nice write up, sounds like you had fun apart from the weather!

As for that last stretch before the ferry, yes, its very soft sand and in long dry stretches it becomes powdery soft. Tyres around 16 to 18 PSI is the go - never been bogged, even when having to stop for someone else who is. Even in the old Subaru Forester (stock except for a 25mm lift) I have never once been bogged up there (now have prob jinxed myself).

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 17-10-2011
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good one Brockie...I am up there most weekends, and as seacomms was saying tyres down to baout 18psi is perfect. I haven't ever been bogged up there either..touch wood. But it is truly an awesome place..when the weather is good. Teewah is a great place to camp and just up a bit is an actual camp ground with tiolets and hot showers if you need them..or your taking this missus...not much fun in the rain though..it rained last time we were there to, but not too bad and not enough to put the camp fire out
Old 17-10-2011
Just Build it

What Jeep do I drive?: Brute
Liked 38 Times in 15 Posts

Gday Ian,

Great write up there and thanks for the Kudos!

Glad you enjoyed it.

R
Stu
111 Leitchs Rd
Brendale QLD
Old 17-10-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking good. Got any pics of the guard without the black plastic lip attached?
Old 18-10-2011
Established Member

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerDave View Post
Looking good. Got any pics of the guard without the black plastic lip attached?
Ahh, sorry Dave - run that by me again?

Brockie
Old 18-10-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockie View Post
Ahh, sorry Dave - run that by me again?

Brockie

Your WH is looking good with the lift. The run upto double island is a great day trip from brissy. looks like you go to see the best and worst of it.

I was just seeing if you had some pics of the guard you got to protect the power steering lines.

The black plastic lip that runs along the bottom of the front bumper is removable on my WH but the power steering lines look rather vunerable under there. So i'm looking for a guard just like what you got.
Post New Thread  Reply