Sand in the bead of tyre. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 17-11-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Sand in the bead of tyre.

So anyway I was having issues with a tyre as it was constantly going down, about 20psi per day. Happened during the last trip to Ripley.

After a week, I took the tyre to a local tyre dealer and had them do a repair. As per the title they told me that it was not a puncture but sand in the bead causing gap and allowing air to escape. I asked could I fix this my self if it happened again, they said no and that you require a machine to get the tyre back on the rim.

He then tried to sell me a set of Bridgestone desert duellers which he claimed would be better then the stock Goodyear wranglers and I would never need to let them down when I go off road. (I totally don’t believe this last statement)

So my question is if I get the same situation happen again can I do the repair myself or do I need to get a professional with the correct equipment to do the job?
Old 17-11-2011
So play on just play on

Liked 359 Times in 182 Posts

You can do it yourself if you have access to a compressor with a reasonable tank (for lots of air quickly). I did mine recently with a mate helping.

I used tyre pliers but you can use a jack to crack the bead, put the base of a bottle jack on the tyre and the top of it under you bumper or something solid and then jack, it'll push the bead away from the tyre.

Anyway the steps.

First step is to get some air in the tyre and mix up some soapy water (dishwashing liquid works well), dribble this around the bead and valve.

Then look for it to start blowing bubbles They were easy to spot on this one.

On with the tyre pliers to crack the bead. It was full of mud, so once we cracked it I got the air gun and blew the mud out and scrapped it with a screwdriver as well. You can just see the mud on the bead. There was a heap in there.

All nice and clean

And then put the air gun on the tyre valve stem without the valve in it, the bead seats really quickly

All done.

Cheers
Steve
Old 17-11-2011
Super Moderator

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the same issue with the stock tyres... mud in the bead... had the tyre store put it into a water bath with the bead broken, cleaned it up... well so we thought... kep going down slowly... infact always did...

I have heard online that you can reset the bead with ... now I think it was using lighter fluid and a match... something like that as the sudden expansion of the "boom" sets the bead... you dont need much!! but please dont try it until you have read how they do it properly! Wish I could remember what site I read it on...

for me I think the stock tyres are not that great... BUT thats only my personal opinion.
Old 17-11-2011
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

Don't go with the lighter fluid trick mate.

It is bloody stupid and downright dangerous. Do it at your peril. Don't even go there.

What you can do is get 2 or 3 ratchet straps. The 1",or 1" 1/2 and put these around the tyre tread spaced two at the edge of the tread and one in the middle when it is flat and tighten them down progressively until you cannot go anymore.

What this does is squashes the tread down and forces the bead onto the rim to lock it.

I was taught this in the Army.

And it works.

Get the compressor out. Take the valve out as you get more air in quickly this way. Not a pissy K-mart special. And start pumping. If it is leaking anywhere just readjust the strap to get the bead to seal.

We used to run the airline off the Macks and it would push out 120 PSI from the tank. Bit more than what you have.

When the bead has seated put the valve back in.

But I can guarantee it works mate.

Uncle Rastus.
Jeeps don't get stuck. They just have a little rest and think then get going again.

Last edited by rastus2571; 17-11-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 17-11-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I did the same thing on the stock tyres, but couldnt break the bead to remove the crap from within. I first spread some soapy liquid around the bead to see where it was leaking - turned out to be pretty much right the way around.... But by then the tyre was so slippery I couldnt get the jack to stay steady on it long enough to break the bead. I had the tyre under the back of the Jeep and the jack sitting on the tyre against the rim and was jacking up under the towbar.

Ended up taking it to the local tyre place and he cleaned it for free.

Took him bout 10 minutes total but generated a lot of good will with me! Have recommended several friends to them now for new tyres, so it was well worth his 10 minutes to help me out (Jax Tyres at Noosaville just to get a plug in!).

If (when) it happens again will make sure to dry the tyre off first...

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 17-11-2011
So play on just play on

I never had to use a strap, we even reseated the bead on an XJ at a servo using the pump there once after it got pushed off on a trip, it was easier than changing the tyre in the puring rain Even changing tyres, which I do on my camper, I just use the compressor with the valve out. I guess without a shop style compressor the straps would be needed as you wont get the big flow rate.

Cheers
Steve
Old 17-11-2011
So play on just play on

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
I did the same thing on the stock tyres, but couldnt break the bead to remove the crap from within. I first spread some soapy liquid around the bead to see where it was leaking - turned out to be pretty much right the way around.... But by then the tyre was so slippery I couldnt get the jack to stay steady on it long enough to break the bead. I had the tyre under the back of the Jeep and the jack sitting on the tyre against the rim and was jacking up under the towbar.

Ended up taking it to the local tyre place and he cleaned it for free.

Took him bout 10 minutes total but generated a lot of good will with me! Have recommended several friends to them now for new tyres, so it was well worth his 10 minutes to help me out (Jax Tyres at Noosaville just to get a plug in!).

If (when) it happens again will make sure to dry the tyre off first...
Probably easier with my 35's as there is that much more sidewall to stick the jack on

Cheers
Steve