Hey all. - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > Sticky's - New members please stop by
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-12-2011
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: None
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hey all.

Hey all,

I'm 21 and looking to get myself a jeep between the 12-25k mark as soon as im accepted into the VicPol (fingers crossed) because right now I'm a little short on cash, I currently drive a VR commodore and have been wanting a VE SS for along time but where I live there are simply to many P platers ( im off my ps coming July) who drive v6 chev badged commodores, which is quite depressing aswell as the xr6's, all of whom drive like supercar racers and will floor it at the lights because a v6/i6 with a exhaust pipe, rims and a lowering job is just so powerful.......
Well anyway enough rant I have had my fun with my commodore and have gotten over sliding in the wet etc and have become fascinated in the Jeeps particularly the TJ models. Me n friends have been camping and I plan to do alot more in the future and I was wondering why the Jeep would be a better choice over say a patrol, landcruiser etc?

I prefer the Jeeps looks no doubt and space is not a problem for me as I find ways to make things fit in my current car no worries!
Right now I'm looking at Jeeps on carsales and there are plenty of "lower" km TJs with a lift and wheels, and they look alot more cared for then anything else.

My questions are :
How reliable are Jeeps in general? My commodore is "reliable" and have spent over 5k in servicing and new parts for it and goes pretty hard for a 1994 executive haha but when I bought it if was in bad shape, I now take care of it and only spend money on a service whenever needed. Can I expect the same from a Jeep or does it fall to bits no matter how much Tlc I give it?

It will be my daily, my weekender, my Shopping trolley, everything, I don't mind about comfort and will be driving mostly on urban road but also when we go camping or just go out how is it on gravel/mud/sand/ stone terrain? I'm not going to take it "off road" in a sense of rock climbing and going though metre deep waters etc. ( as of now anyway)

What are good mods for it? I am thinking a 2.5"+ lift and some wheels though what is a recommended size? And maybe a few engine mods?

I pay about 65-75 a week for petrol in my 3.8 v6 commodore I understand TJs have the same capacity, what are they like on fuel?

Well if you read that far thanks lol and wish me luck with acceptance in the VicPol I just need to do my fitness test and panel interview!
Old 20-12-2011
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK

Hello,

Welcome to AJOR and good luck with your tests

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen. View Post
Hey all,

My questions are :
How reliable are Jeeps in general? My commodore is "reliable" and have spent over 5k in servicing and new parts for it and goes pretty hard for a 1994 executive haha but when I bought it if was in bad shape, I now take care of it and only spend money on a service whenever needed. Can I expect the same from a Jeep or does it fall to bits no matter how much Tlc I give it?
If you look after it you'll find they are quite reliable. As you read more on here you'll start to discover the people that do a lot of offroad work tend to be spending a little more on upgrading/maintaining parts. but that's to be expected.

Get one with a service history (and one that hasn't been offroad if you can) and make sure you look after it and you should have very few problems

Quote:
It will be my daily, my weekender, my Shopping trolley, everything, I don't mind about comfort and will be driving mostly on urban road but also when we go camping or just go out how is it on gravel/mud/sand/ stone terrain? I'm not going to take it "off road" in a sense of rock climbing and going though metre deep waters etc. ( as of now anyway)

What are good mods for it? I am thinking a 2.5"+ lift and some wheels though what is a recommended size? And maybe a few engine mods?
A small lift is probably all you'll need for that sort of work, you might even find that no lift will get you a lot of places you want to go. The key here is the bigger the lift/tyres the more mods you need to do to other components and this will add costs...

Quote:
I pay about 65-75 a week for petrol in my 3.8 v6 commodore I understand TJs have the same capacity, what are they like on fuel?

I pay about that every two to three weeks, but my kilometres during the week aren't that high. Long story short...if you buy a jeep you don't really care about fuel economy

I average about 500 to 600 KM a tank around town, but I'm still pretty stock

You'll find plenty of info and help around here so good luck!

2011 JK Sport Cosmos Blue RIP :-(
Old 20-12-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Lieutenant,

Thanks for the detailed replied just what I was hoping for

I understand most cars are reliable if taken care of and not thrashed and im not to concerned about mods but they look really nice with a bit of height etc.
The fuel economy sounds alot better then what I am spending and what I expected.
But that is to be determined once I have my own.
At the moment I'm dying to get one so badly just don't have anywhere bear enough lol
Old 20-12-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Up to 25K mark could even get you into a JK if you wanted to go that far - better suspension and a wider track (flame suit now zipped up )...

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 20-12-2011
Grumpy Old XJ Dsl Owner

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 6,584 Times in 4,359 Posts

Quote:

Well if you read that far thanks lol and wish me luck with acceptance in the VicPol I just need to do my fitness test and panel interview!
Good luck with your interview !!!
It never hurts to have some one from "the thin blue line" on here. I think that the vast majority of members here are very supportive of the PD.
I am glad that you are interested in jeeping & look forward to you becoming an active member of the AJOR community !!!
Old 20-12-2011
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well jeeps and good fuel economy never go together for a start haha! My TJ runs 32" inch tyre's and a small lift and it does drink alot of fuel but thats a sacrifice you make for off road performance. Not sure what i get out of a tank yet exactly.

some poeple will bi**h and complain about jeeps because alot of the stuff is sort of "unkown" if ya like here in Australia.But far as the 4.0L goes, mine gets wheel hard every weekend and and i haven't had a engine problem since i owned it. (8 months) it just clicked over 100 000 KM . but good maintenance is the key to reliability. jump under every friday with the grease gun check all the oils coolant , and climb under and look for damage. best to find a fault before it leaves your stranded somewhere.

my TJ has a 2" lift just coils and shockies and i can keep up with the bigger lifts with more effort but i still do it! The ride on my TJ isnt that bad at all... people seem to say there horrible but mine doesn't seem to bother me at all. but it definitely isnt a luxurious ride thats for sure. As for offroad comfort well that just depends how you drive it lol

oh and i will be selling my lift shortly its done less than 5000 km, i'm going to a full 3.5" short arm kit !

anyway hope your job all goes well and enjoy AJOR!
Old 21-12-2011
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks everyone for the replies, obviously I found a very nice community people here on these forums.
I just a letter from the police to get my medical tests done, and the physical test should be soon to then I assume which will be the easiest thug I have ever done haha.

Any OT: yes I was considering a jk as well, since they are newer, and I do like the looks of them just as much as a tj.

For clarification, is there no cover over the fuel cap? As in can anyone just walk up to a jeep and drop crap into my petrol tank? Or am I missing something..lol ( I'm very paranoid about car security etc, and pretty much everything else that has a even remote chance of being damaged or vandalized by someone/s

EDIT: it has a Key doesn't it?

Last edited by Fallen.; 21-12-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply