'12 towing capacities now on Jeep.com.au - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 25-12-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default '12 towing capacities now on Jeep.com.au

Interestingly, was just browsing the jeep.com.au site and they now finally list the towing capacities for them (they weren't on there are couple of days ago).

Both Sport and Rubicon 2 door are listed at 100kg tow ball weight and 1,000kg max with braked trailer, no mention of CRD - down 750kg from previous models..

Sport and Rubicon petrol Unlimited now down to 2000kg max, down from 2300, tow ball weight increases though to 200kg.

Sport CRD Unlimited Auto is 2,200kg with 220kg tow ball weight

Sport CRD Unlimited Manual is 2,300kg with 230kg tow ball weight.

There is no listing on any of them of an unbraked towing capacity.

Strange that the manual CRD is higher than the auto, given the history of the clutches!

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club
Old 25-12-2011
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hunty i'd check the state towing regs before you believe the tow bar rating. the tow bar rating may exceed the max load allowed under state regs. 2300kg seems a huge towing capacity for a short wheelbase. you could fit a towbar with a 10 tonne rating but the state regs are still the the governing factor.
Old 25-12-2011
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NSW - If the vehicle manufacturer has not specified the maximum towing mass, the maximum towing mass is:
Old 25-12-2011
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sport CRD Unlimited Manual is 2,300kg with 230kg tow ball weight, does anyone know if anything has been done for this increase in tow ball weight.
Old 25-12-2011
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

Probably a bit more realistic really.

Wonder if they would issue a recall to have all past vehicles re-stickered and specified with the lower weights as well? Wouldn't be the first time a local distributor has incorrectly specified a vehicle from new.
Old 26-12-2011
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Its a bit strange when my pissy 4cylinder gutless Mitsubishi Outlander has a 1500kg towing capacity on a vehicle that only weighs 1400kg. Especially when the national laws state:

Quote:
Throughout Australia, the allowable maximum mass for the trailer is either the capacity of the tow vehicle’s towing attachment or the towing limit specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the towing vehicle, whichever is the least.
This stuffs Huntys idea of towbar lable
Quote:
OR
If the vehicle’s manufacturer has not made a recommendation as to the towing mass, then the following rules apply:

A vehicle may tow a laden trailer of up to one and a half times the unladen mass of the tow vehicle, provided that the towbar is rated accordingly and the trailer is fitted with brakes that comply with the requirements stipulated in the Australian Design Rule ADR38.
I mean if the laws state in general up to 1.5 time the unladen vehicle mass, why would a full ladder chassis 4wd, ie the strongest config for towing IMHO, have its capacity dropped to less than 2/3 of the unladen vehicle mass?

Sounds to me like there has been some problems somewhere along the line. Its not like they have adopted the US towing specs, its still different to them (2000lb / 877kg on the 2 door, 3500lb / 1500kg for the Unlimited).

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 31-12-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Old 26-12-2011
SwampDigger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i wonder if the reduced towing weight is because it's a swb.
Post New Thread  Reply