Warning - To JBA Link Extension Users - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 30-01-2012
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts
Default Warning - To JBA Link Extension Users

This is a warning about a potential safety issue where the JBA Link Extension is used on KJ's with a lift of less than 4".

Please check your Service Brake cables where they exit the body and pass over the upper rear control arm. I have found that the passenger side service brake cable is forced into contact with the fuel line (Return or Supply I am not sure but it's the thicker one so assume Supply) and will rub against the fuel line.

The problem was created by the Upper Rear Control Arm being pushed up in the rear body cavity by the Link Extension bracket. If the original equipment standoff clips are retained to manage the Service Brake clearance from the Upper Rear COntrol Arm then the brake cable will rub against the fuel 'supply' line and the standoff clips.

In my case there was such pressure on the service brake cable applied by the upper rear control arm that the rubber was worn through to the underlying steel sheaf of the cable. The brake cable also wore away the paint and created a flat spot in the metal on the fuel line.

Of course my KJ (with the JBA Link Extension) has completed a Cape York Trip this past year and I suspect that the pounding the rear suspension took up there has accelerated this wear problem.

I first noticed it as a very annoying metal squeak which I attributed to everything else before I checked this out.

So if you are running a JBA Link Extension please check your service brake lines for rubbing against the standoff clips and the fuel line. If they are rubbing then there will eventually be a problem with rub-through of the service brake cable or the fuel line.

I have removed the standoff clips and put corrugated tubing over the service brake cable. I have also tied the two service brake cables together with a cable tie to pull the passenger side one away from the fuel line (which is also now protected with corrugated tubing). Even with these steps the service brake cables are still touching the upper edge of the upper rear control arm.

Since there is no apparent place to tie the service brake cable to to raise it above the arm I suspect that ultimately I will need to remove the JBA Link Extension to return the arm to its original position.
Old 01-02-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Thanks Glend - I had added the link extension to my shopping list for a lift (when back in work etc!) after reading your earlier posts about it, but after reading this, I think I'll take it off again!
Old 04-02-2012
Renegade

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks Glend, I'll check it out. I had the link fitted last year when I replaced the rear bushes.

2012 WK2 GC Overland CRD
Old 07-02-2012
AJOR Silver

I have now removed the JBA Link Extension and found more damage:

When I popped the ball joint out of the bracket I found that the Link Extension was moving freely on its bolts (this is despite it being properly torqued up on install and checked again before leaving for the Cape - this is probably another source of the noises I have been hearing since returning from the Cape. The thick powder coating is just too soft to be a supportive surface for the bolts and it was worn away and the metal below it was as well. The oval shaped bolt holes do not help because they allow movement of the bracket against the bolt and the bracket (once loose) can move around considerably, further enlarging the hole. The threads nearest the bolt head were worn down by the bracket rubbing against them.

It's gone in the garbage, and even the JBA bolts were useless as they had corroded once their surface anti-rust has worn away.

I have replaced the original Jeep bolts (with the worn threads) with new ones and remounted the ball joint bracket on top of the diff as per the stock configuration. The ball joint turned out to be ok, but it was just replaced last year.

So now I have a stock upper rear control arm setup once again and it's going to stay that way. Road test coming up to assess the noise situation but a rocking test indicates that it is gone.
Old 08-02-2012
CrawlerStar

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Jesus! Have you told JbA about this Glend? You might consider posting this on LOST as well, in case any of the guys on there are thinking of or have fitted this extension.
Old 08-02-2012
AJOR Silver

Lancer, I did ask on LOST when I was considering it and was told there was no complaints and in fact one guy had rolled his KJ at high speed and the Link Extension held everything in place. I will drop Marlin an email but honestly I don't think he's going to take any notice. I punished this thing on Cape York, that's a thousand + kms of some of the worst corrugations ever seen, they just don't have that sort of environment in the US (his major market); the most they seem to do is drive to a 4WD park or other venue on a Interstate Highway and spend a day or two playing around at low speed rock crawling - hardly equates to the pounding that the Cape Dev Road gives it.

BTW I did the drive test and it's sweet again, no noises at all.

Last edited by glend; 09-02-2012 at 06:33 AM.
Old 08-02-2012
Rated the trail

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 24 Times in 20 Posts

My Question would be has JBA been notified of this problem, have they had these problems before, could they shed some light as to fixes and will they replace them under a "Warrenty"?

I suppose they would have been built for a weekend worrier maybe where they dont use their vehicles elsewhere vs us in our Australian conditions?