2004 WG Grand driveline - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-05-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Default 2004 WG Grand driveline

Hi all,

Just picked up a nice vision series limited GC and after researching I am led to believe that its got a rear Dana 44a. There are some slight lash type noises coming from it on the hwy so im thinking of giving it a freshen up but if its a POS c-clip i wont even bother.

Now from what i have read I think its ok as the c-clip 44's where in the earlier models. But someone confirm for me all the same?
Its a 7/04 build WG Grand 4.7.

Now also im not going too crazy with this Jeep. Im looking into a 2'' spring and shocks, tyres and fix the rear diff so its reliable. Are there any locker options for the 44a or would i be better off finding something from a JK to swap in maybe?

Your thoughts are welcome. (except smart arse's suggesting i use the search, i tried that)
2018 Harley-Davidson FXFBS
Old 11-05-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ CJ5 View Post
Hi all,

Just picked up a nice vision series limited GC and after researching I am led to believe that its got a rear Dana 44a. There are some slight lash type noises coming from it on the hwy so im thinking of giving it a freshen up but if its a POS c-clip i wont even bother.

Now from what i have read I think its ok as the c-clip 44's where in the earlier models. But someone confirm for me all the same?
Its a 7/04 build WG Grand 4.7.

Now also im not going too crazy with this Jeep. Im looking into a 2'' spring and shocks, tyres and fix the rear diff so its reliable. Are there any locker options for the 44a or would i be better off finding something from a JK to swap in maybe?

Your thoughts are welcome. (except smart arse's suggesting i use the search, i tried that)

Try using the advance search option as its been covered heaps before. (I think I'm ready for 'senior member' status after a comment like that)

Anyhow, There are NO part time lockers available for the Dana 44a. Dispite the fact it is a pretty tuff diff having a dana 60 pinion and the 44 crown wheel the alloy housing weakens its appeal and combined with the 'c' clip design no one wants to touch them.

You can get an LSD for them, I know Aurbun Gear does them or you can go the full time ratcheting locker option like the 'Aussie lokka', 'Lock rite' or I think Richmond??? do one too.

The other option is grab quadra drive diffs but I think your 'Vision Series' may already have them. Im a lowly Laredo driver with single spinners front and back so I'm not to sure on the vision series.

If you chose to go for an axle swap be aware that the JK diffs are at bit wider than the WG ones so you would really need to do front and back together and may run into licensing/insurance issues if you increase the 'track' too much. There are mobs who do a bolt in conversion to a standard Dana 44 that uses your current axles and brakes or you can use other model jeep diffs. I cant remember which model but I think it was one of the Cherokees that uses the same suspension set up but you end up with a different stud pattern so have to do both again.

I had an Aurbun Gear Ected to put in my front diff but had to on sell it as I needed coin for another project. I am now seriously considering a quadra drive conversion front and back due to the cost savings (second hand) and cause I could bolt them in myself. Keeping my eyes and ears open, in Perth, anyone???

Hope that helps.
Old 12-05-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Thanks clay. I gave the jeep a bit of a test run the other day in an old abandoned quarry and I too have single spinners at the moment.
I would love to convert to Quadra Drive diffs but I can only imagine the cost. So that leaves me with the option of locker in the rear for now.
Also I spoke to a local jeep guru and he tells me that the 04 does not have c-clip designed axles. If this is true than thats a bonus.
I wonder how a something like the aussie locker would be for a daily drive? I will look into their road manners to see if they are not t o aggressive and noisey.
2018 Harley-Davidson FXFBS
Post New Thread  Reply