Cigarette lighter - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XJ / MJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 19-05-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Cigarette lighter

Hi, dont have a duall battery system on my Xj as yet, was wondering could i run an inverter( 12v to 240v)from the lighter to a 2 amp battery charger without any issues?, was wondering if it can be done in an emergency, thanks.
Old 19-05-2012
TerraFlexer

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

I asked an auto eleco to run heavier wire into my cig lighter socket so i could run 2 fridges.He said the yanks allready ran quite heavey wire in there anyway so i should,nt bother.
Old 19-05-2012
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

If just charging camera batteries etc, stick to an inverter of 150 watts or less, they draw a heap of power and you run the risk of causing a lot of heat build up in the lighter socket..... Remember the positive centre pin will probably only have 1mm square of contact.

150 w at 12 v is going to pull about 13 amps, a lot through a ciggy socket.
Old 19-05-2012
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Thanks for replies, yer i have an inverter 600 watts that connects to the battery, and a 150 max one that plugs into the lighter, thats the one i was thinking of using, just to top up a battery not from dead flat, cheers.
Old 20-05-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1,113 Times in 693 Posts

Even a 150W unit will draw more than 10A, even assuming 100% efficiency (which they aren't) it would be 12.5A, they are more likely around 85% efficient so that means around 14.7A @ 12V..

Too much for a cigarette lighter socket and the small wiring they use for it....

Do it once, Do it right!

2014 WK2 Overland
Old 21-05-2012
Established Member

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Been looking around , a manual 4 position battery isolator switch (like i had on my old Pajero under the bonnet),an inline fuse holder, battery terminals for duall set up will set me back about 50-60$, would have to run twin line cable to back of car though , but thats no biggy, having to open bonnet to change switch is not a worry either , might have to go down this route then, cheers.
Old 21-05-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Using the 12v ciggie lighter, to run a 240v AC inverter, to run a 12v DC battery charger, to charge a 12v battery is going round the LONG way lol.
If you really want to charge a second battery, just use jumper cables. if the battery is hard mounted in the car, buy a dual battery kit, or even go the cheap solenoid option.
Using the cig lighter, inverter, battery charger option you are losing efficiency in each step.
EG... the battery charger will charge at 2 amps (lets say) thats 24w.
The 240v side will use a touch more than that (as nothing is 100% efficient) so lets say 30w.
To pull 30w out of your inverter, it will be using almost double that on the 12v side, or more as inverters are at best around 50% efficient.
so thats 60w. add to that some voltage drop losses etc. and you will find your using 5-8amps from your cigarette lighter to charge a 12v battery at 2 amps.....
Jumper leads will be your best option (just for emergencies as you stated.
As for if the battery is hard mounted in the car as a dual battery type setup.....dont skimp, do it right the first time, and you wont have problems, failures, a burning wreck where your car once was etc.
You can set up a 12v-12v charging system pretty cheap (under $100) that is safe, although not as flexible and failsafe as the big name systems.