Wide vs Narrow Tyres which is better? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 13-06-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Wide vs Narrow Tyres which is better?

Morning Everyone,

This particular topic has been troubling me for a while and everyone seems to have their own opinion, a couple of questions though

Wide do the Military and vehicles makes like land rover and Toyota Land cruiser recommend a Narrow tyre?

Why are people when you talk to them so adamant on have the fattest tyre they can find?

some things I've found in my quest for the truth on various web pages, i would appreciate if anyone could possibly take the time have a quick read and tell me what you think.

Wide vs Narrow tires

Less rotating mass- Easier to start and stop
Less reciprocating mass- Easier to dampen
Less wind resistance- Better economy and range
Less rolling resistance- Better economy and range
Easier to fit a taller/narrower tire with less lift
Lighter spare
Lighter tire
Lighter wheel
Less unsprung weight
Less weight and leverage on steering components, bearings, etc.

In terrain:
1. Less frontal resistance in mud and sand. Where is most of the increased contact patch (for flotation) gained? In the length, not the width. Tall and narrow allows for more length and greater deformation with less resistance.

It is as simple as understanding the coefficient of friction (COF), which is (Ff = Cf x Fv).

Ff= Friction Force
Cf= Coefficient of Friction
Fv= Force Vertical

As you make a tire wider, you reduce the Fv over a larger area, but gain Cf. As you make a tire narrower, you increase the Fv, but reduce the area of contact, which lowers the Cf. It is proportional, though there are times when the material interaction (lets say a drag tire on concrete) favors Cf, but those conditions rarely exist on the trail, on a perfectly flat surface. So, if a wide and narrow tires benefits with relationship to Cf and Fv are proportional, than the decision must be made on other factors, like weight, resistance, etc., as listed above.

Now of course, there are limits at both ends of the spectrum. Too narrow of a tire, and the torque applied to the surface, even with extremely high Fv (which a super narrow tire would have), would exceed the rubbers ability to resist tearing. Literally, burning rubber.

It is all a balance, with tires for most of the trucks we drive being ideal in the 9-11" wide range.

Big, fat tires are only for show trucks and tundra buggies. An expedition vehicle has an emphasis on simplicity, economy, durability and safety, none of which a 35x14.5 will give you. . .

and there is also this URL bellow which has something interesting on it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...ow-better.html

I'm inclined to agree.

Last edited by sossi; 15-06-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 13-06-2012
DetroitDemon

Liked 85 Times in 54 Posts

It is a hot topic of debate no doubt. Particularly when there's so many width extremes, rolling diameter to consider and also varying vehicle weights/suspension and steering design.

I personally prefer driving on narrower tyres. Off road and on (but I spend most of my time On road). I haven't really tried alot with the JK but got to try a few sizes on my GQ. A mate with a GQ found the same.
Old 13-06-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

See I'm in the same boat, I've owned a great many 4wd's to date now all with different tyre sizes, Obviously its not practical to or affordable to experiment with the different sizes on the one vehicle.

MY good mate has a Landrover defender and is running a rather tall Narrow Tyre,
and there has been several situations especially in the mud where for he has come out on top.
Old 13-06-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yom View Post
It is a hot topic of debate no doubt. Particularly when there's so many width extremes, rolling diameter to consider and also varying vehicle weights/suspension and steering design.

I personally prefer driving on narrower tyres. Off road and on (but I spend most of my time On road). I haven't really tried alot with the JK but got to try a few sizes on my GQ. A mate with a GQ found the same.
What Size are you running on your 2door Yom?
Old 13-06-2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My problem is getting a tall enough tyre, as the profile increases most manufacturers tell you to widen the tyre to seat better. My dad always ran narrow tyres on his old 64 landrover and he said it was better as it allowed you to get a better grip in mud as it didn't float, but hey he also said that they had never made a better 4WD than his beloved 64!
Old 13-06-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onslow View Post
My problem is getting a tall enough tyre, as the profile increases most manufacturers tell you to widen the tyre to seat better. My dad always ran narrow tyres on his old 64 landrover and he said it was better as it allowed you to get a better grip in mud as it didn't float, but hey he also said that they had never made a better 4WD than his beloved 64!
My old man Says the same thing, he absolutely swears by the Cheese cutters the Land cruisers came out with.

I have no idea why manufactures prattle on about having to make the tyre wider as they go higher, i mean to some degree it makes perfect sense but they have been making tall skinny tyres like that for aeons, what's changed that requires them to do this now days?

From a marketing perspective the demand is in the Fat tyres i suppose cause that's what everyone is buying up these days.
Old 13-06-2012
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

When I had my LR defender I recall reading somewhere that the narrow tyre cuts through the sloppy mud to find the hard stuff underneath.
Post New Thread  Reply