2004 WJ Grand Cherokee vision series - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 23-08-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2004 WJ Grand Cherokee vision series

Am about to replace original springs and shocks and am looking at doing a 2" lift at the same time.
Koni shocks and King springs or Oldman Emu shocks and springs?

Not much difference in price,OME recommend a new stabilizer bar while the guys suggesting Koni and King springs don't suggest a new stabilizer bar.
Am leaning towards OME but any pointers/comments welcome.

Thanks
GCV
Old 24-08-2012
Lowranger Shocker

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 169 Times in 108 Posts
Talking I used Bilstein and Dobinsons

I have Bilstein and Dobinsons in mine, heard a lot of good things and no negatives about them so thats the way I went.

I bought the Dobinsons for $285 from 4X4 Solutions in Grimshaw st Bundoora, Vic back in February when they had 15% off.

The Bilsteins came from the US from a guy called Nick, (kolak@aol.com), very helpful and patient bloke on a few US forums. Runs a one man business in modifying Jeeps. He's been doing it for quite a few years.

I just checked my old emails and back in February when I ordered them, the cost on them was $310usd for all 4 shocks and $140usd for shipping.

A few weeks later I then went back to him and ordered a new set of spring isolators all round. They cost $100usd plus an extra $30usd for shipping.
bringing my total cost from him to $580usd, ($552aud). Spring isolators sit to and bottom of each spring and isolate the car from the noise of the spring moving. Over time they can wear down and people have lost more than 10mm in height from replacing these alone.

So the total cost for my lift was $837aud.

I had been quoted $299aud per shock and couldn't get a specific delivery date.
The 5100 Bilsteins are a shock valved specifically for the weight distribution of the WJ/G Grands. I had hearad so many good things about them I couldn't go past them.

You don't need a new sway bar, (stabiliser bar), front or rear unless you want to improve the on road only handling of the car. The trade off of this is less off road performance. All the sway bar does is mitigates body roll otherwise know as articulation. This articulation is what you want more of when off road to keep the wheels on the ground better.

If I was upgrading my sway bar as well I wouldn't get an OME but would go straight to the Addco sway bars. They are the best around. They're $150usd plus shipping.

If you want the best of both worlds, the addco sway bar front and rear with JKS quicker disconnects on the front. These will set you back around $200 inc S&H.

before my lift
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...9&d=1344327455

after my lift
http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...0&d=1344327494

Let us know if there's anything else.
Old 24-08-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info Timbotrog,I will see if I can contact Nick in the US and also 4x4 Solutions for the same stuff you used,looks great.
Would you have part numbers I could use as a reference?

Tx

GCV
Post New Thread  Reply