CRD KJ Auto... - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 27-08-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default CRD KJ Auto...

Hi Guys

is there any maintenance that needs to be done on this to keep it in good condition? Im at 85k and was considering taking it to the shop to get the fluid changed over... im doing a lengthy trp coming up soon and want the car right..

I've got samco hoses on their way, new vicious fan clutch and am just about to pull the trigger on the GDE tune

thanks!
Old 27-08-2012
AJOR Silver

Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts

While the manufacturer will say that the transmission is 'filled for life' and that might be true if you only want to keep a vehicle for a couple of years, most good mechanics and transmission guys will tell you to do a full service every two years maximum. I have a mate who works as a mechanic at a Jeep service centre and he recommends a service every 50000kms. I do mine myself every 40000kms; and it's not hard, but can be messy. The things you need: ATF+4 fluid, at least 7 litres are needed for a filter service (You or your service guy must use ATF+4 - don't let them put anything else in your transmission), a pan filter, spin on cooler line return filter, and an anti-drainback valve. If you put a transmission drain bung into the pan when you do the first service then it is easy to do from there on. If you get a transmission shop to do it for you ask them to put a drain bung in for you. I'd also suggest putting in a transmission temperature gauge sensor and gauge so that you can always see how hot the fluid is. I used the Prosport gauge and sensor but there are heaps of them around. (Note, if you install two sensors through a toggle switch to the gauge then you can look at both the hot pan temp and the cooler fluid as it returns from the coolers - this tells you how effective your cooling is working).

Heat is the number one enemy of auto transmissions, and if you tow regularly you need to do some things to keep the temperatures as low as possible: fit another auxiliary transmission cooler and as said a transmission temperature gauge, give it regular services. An electronic transmission temperature sensor is built into the transmission (TPS) but you need a ODBII bus connection to read it, it mainly sends the temp info to the processors (TCM, etc). There are a number of good graphs around on the Net that show the relationship between heat and transmission longevity, basically if you can keep it below 170F it should last a long long time; above that varnishes get layed down, seals degrade, and clutch material breaks down.

There are several threads in the KJ forum section on the 545RFE transmission and servicing it. I wrote up one complete with photos a could of years ago.

Here is a link:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...rvicing+545RFE

Last edited by glend; 27-08-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 27-08-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glend View Post
While the manufacturer will say that the transmission is 'filled for life' and that might be true if you only want to keep a vehicle for a couple of years, most good mechanics and transmission guys will tell you to do a full service every two years maximum. I have a mate who works as a mechanic at a Jeep service centre and he recommends a service every 50000kms. I do mine myself every 40000kms; and it's not hard, but can be messy. The things you need: ATF+4 fluid, at least 7 litres are needed for a filter service (You or your service guy must use ATF+4 - don't let them put anything else in your transmission), a pan filter, spin on cooler line return filter, and an anti-drainback valve. If you put a transmission drain bung into the pan when you do the first service then it is easy to do from there on. If you get a transmission shop to do it for you ask them to put a drain bung in for you. I'd also suggest putting in a transmission temperature gauge sensor and gauge so that you can always see how hot the fluid is. I used the Prosport gauge and sensor but there are heaps of them around. (Note, if you install two sensors through a toggle switch to the gauge then you can look at both the hot pan temp and the cooler fluid as it returns from the coolers - this tells you how effective your cooling is working).

Heat is the number one enemy of auto transmissions, and if you tow regularly you need to do some things to keep the temperatures as low as possible: fit another auxiliary transmission cooler and as said a transmission temperature gauge, give it regular services. An electronic transmission temperature sensor is built into the transmission (TPS) but you need a ODBII bus connection to read it, it mainly sends the temp info to the processors (TCM, etc). There are a number of good graphs around on the Net that show the relationship between heat and transmission longevity, basically if you can keep it below 170F it should last a long long time; above that varnishes get layed down, seals degrade, and clutch material breaks down.

There are several threads in the KJ forum section on the 545RFE transmission and servicing it. I wrote up one complete with photos a could of years ago.

Here is a link:

http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/...rvicing+545RFE
Awesome, wow thanks Glen. I wont go down the guage route because I barely if ever tow and when I do its usually 2 x 180kg bikes and a light bike trailer... There wouldnt be alot of value for me in doing that.

What would a workshop charge roughly to do this if you supplied the parts?

Do you know the approx cost of those parts? filters, oil etc or the contact for Mansfields Parts? Ill call them and order all the bits

With the B&M plug, who do you get the oil back in there without removing the pan?

Last edited by dastrix; 27-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old 27-08-2012
AJOR Silver

Your going to have to remove the pan to change the filters anyway, the bung would be put in the first time you do that, afterwards each drain for filter change or just fluid , is much neater because you can drain from the bung before you drop the pan. Do it once, and yuu'll understand why the bung is a good idea.
Old 27-08-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Your going to have to remove the pan to change the filters anyway, the bung would be put in the first time you do that, afterwards each drain for filter change or just fluid , is much neater because you can drain from the bung before you drop the pan. Do it once, and yuu'll understand why the bung is a good idea.
Right, so you dont use the bung to refil.. I'm with you..be great if you didnt have to take the pan off each time. How annoying... its like the rear diff. Whta a crap design

Would Caltex Dexron III ATF be suitable? Do you have the name or number where you ordered the parts? I cant find Mansfields anywhere....
Old 27-08-2012
AJOR Silver

It is refilled through the dip stick tube, and use a funnel its easier. No Caltex stuff, its has to be ATF+4 and that is available from Jeep Parts, you can't buy it at Supercheap, etc.
Old 27-08-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
It is refilled through the dip stick tube, and use a funnel its easier. No Caltex stuff, its has to be ATF+4 and that is available from Jeep Parts, you can't buy it at Supercheap, etc.
ok, ive msg'd Nick regarding the parts supply at Mansfield (found some old posts) and I've ordered the B&M part

Thanks glen!
Post New Thread  Reply