new pilgramige - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Camping suggestions
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2012
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 606 Times in 359 Posts
Default new pilgramige

Hi I am finally on my pilgramige. Left Adelaide this morning around 9.30 and got far as Hay. Currently at the Hay caravan park because I got a non-powered site for $10. Not bad considering it has a camp kitchen. I was considering sleeping at a truck stop but been there done that and it has never been a pleasent experience. Only bad thing about here is the bloody moscitoes. Plan is to head towards Canberra I think although plans could change by the morning. Kinda want to go to Wagga and see some old friends. Plus I need to go to Myers and spend my birhday rewards voucher they sent me. Right now I am enjoying a few home brew ginger beers and then pack the XJ ready for the morn.

Regards A
Old 04-09-2012
MonsterMoose

Made it to Canberra today. Staying at the racecourse camping ground. I am thinking of trying to find an old bakery I used to work at about 5-6 years ago. It over near Belconnen somewhere, across from Woolworths there is also bike shop there I rememeber that but finding it might be a challenge especially in the dark. I am wanting to see if I can get work for a week or two. That being the case I might stay in Canberra until the day before Jambo.
Found out some sad news today that an old mate Noel Dbrit who I worked with at Magnet Mart died from cancer 12 months ago. I was all revved up to see him when I saw his photo on the timber yard office wall. I asked the staff and they confirmed the worst.
I nothing comes in the way of work I might stay here until Fri and head towards Sydney. I have old friends there to visit, just need to FB message them and say I will be coming.

Regards A
Old 04-09-2012
MonsterMoose

Just come back from Kippax only took me an hour to find it. Well the bakery went broke according to the owner of the minimart about two shops up from where it was. Darn looks like work is a no go in Canberra.. Anybody know of a person or business needing someone for a week and a bit or even a few days?

Regards A
Old 05-09-2012
MonsterMoose

Today I stayed in Canberra again. I went to the war memorial and had a guided tour around the site. I spend a lot of time driving trying to find an Aldi. I am satying at Michell so should have just went to Gungahlin just five mins up the road. Instead I went to Marnika and Fishwyk and still did not find an Aldi . I ended up coming back o the camp ground about 4.00 and the wind was blowing about 40 knots. Nearly every tent in the park was blown over or near enough too. Mine was ok but still getting blown to bits so I improvised a wind break with the Jeep annex and a canvas tarp. That lasted about temn mins before I changed my mind and set up the annex to sleep in, as it was looking like rain. Then behold the wind drops off. So I sit down and eat some fish that the dog did not get a chance to finish before I caught him. Then it starts spitting so I head for cover in the annex and about five mins later the wind gusts up again about 45-50 knots this time. It was at that point I realised I had made a wise descison to set up the annex. So now instead to driving into Aldi to see what they have; I have set up myself with the lappy and some homebrew and a few buscuits and am kicking back.

The end.

Regards AG
Old 05-09-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Keep us updated...on your travels
Old 06-09-2012
MonsterMoose

No worries Diesel. Today I left Canberra. Man I sure was lucky to have set up the annexe, it blew a gail last night and rained some. So I headed north through Golbourn and out towards Bathurst way. I ended up going to Jenolin Caves, well just past to a camp ground about 13km north of the caves.

It took me about two hours to find the site as there was no signage. In the end after driving past it I headed to some small arse town that is not even on the map and drove back 13km using the odo to find where the site was.

In the end I found one sign inside the ground saying that the camp ground was going to be closed due to te costs of vandalism. It was pretty awful, rubbish mostly cans and bottles all over the place. At first sight I thought it looked too ruff and headed into the forest to find somewhere I felt a bit safer.

I got to the side where it opened up and logging occurs so I headed back along another 4WD track well it had tracks through it but as it turned out it was a quogmire swamp, about two foot of soft mud. It looked fine as the grass had grown over it and without walking over it you would not know it was so soft.

Ooops bad mistake I got about half way or not quite when she went down. I tried reversing out by getting a run up but that just bogged things up even more; the mud got even harder to go and I was digging trenches . Now this all sounds fine somewhat until you realise this happend at approx 5.15pm. It was starting to get dark and I am like okayyy.

So I got the winch going and got out after about 10mins. At one point I could not get any traction and the winch was doing all the work. At one point the winch slowed right down and I could see the volt meter going down below 11 near to 10v, this was with the engine running and aux running in paralel with the bypass switched on. I had to disconect the fuse between the solinoid and main batt so I did not overdraw on the 8bs cables. In the end I got out with about 15mins of light left and built a fire.

The fire was a bit of a disaster as I could not find dry wood in the dark. It took the compressor to fan it for almost the whole time I was there to keep it burning hot enough. In the end I debated for an hour what to do head back to Jenowin or stay at the campsite, either way it was a car sleep over and being unable to lay back the seat it is going to be a horrible nights sleep.

But I arrived back here in the cave car park about 30mins ago and was washing the windows to remove the mud when I saw the toilets were open. I was thinking to myself wouldn't it be funny if they had a shower. Well what do ya know they do and it is even hot, much to my surprise. So well there is one saving grace for this eve I can have a hot shower in the morn.

I have pics of the mud hole I crossed but I don't know if I packed the camera USB cable If I find it I will post them up if not I will do it later when I get home. For those of you at Jambo I can show them on the camera if anyone is interested.
The end.

Regards AG

Last edited by kj69; 07-09-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: made it easier to read
Old 07-09-2012
Full Flexer

Liked 23 Times in 13 Posts

Great read mate keep them coming