Summer Coming - Hayden Severe Duty Fan Clutch - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KJ Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-09-2012
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: KJ
Liked 171 Times in 115 Posts
Default Summer Coming - Hayden Severe Duty Fan Clutch

My Hayden severe duty fan clutch (2905) arrived today. Ten minute job to install - provided you have the fan shroud mod done previously. Perfect fit, just watch the torque values on the bolts - that case is cast aluminium and the instructions said 15-18ft/lbs max on the fan blade bolts.

Operational details here (page down to Severe Duty Thermal):

http://www.haydenauto.com/featured%2...s/content.aspx
Old 04-09-2012
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good to hear, mine should be here tomorrow
Old 08-09-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Glen, Was it difficult to get old fan clutch off the shaft? Do you need a special tool?
Also, can you direct me to fan shroud mod please.
Thanks.
Old 08-09-2012
AJOR Silver

Beagle, you'll need to lock the fan pulley in order to loosen off the big nut that holds the fan and fan clutch onto the pulley. I don't use any special tools (although they are around and some people choose to make their own). I use a method that is suggested in the timing belt change procedure that I posted a couple of months back, which is:

You'll need a big shifter that can adjust to go over the 36mm nut on the fan pulley. Put the shifter on the nut and rotate the pulley clockwise until one of the holes in the pulley line up with the bolt head underneath the pulley. When you have that lined up just slip a 13mm socket onto the bolt head down in that hole. Back the shifter anti-clockwise until the pulley locks against the 13mm socket that is sticking out of the pulley hole. You can now continue to pressure the nut anti-clockwise to break it loose and undo it from the shaft. I find that tapping (anti-clockwise) the shifter handle with a small sledge that I have is good for getting it started. The nut doesn't seem to come loose easily and you'll need to use the shifter to move it until just befoer it lets go of the treads. Make sure you have a good hold of the fan and are ready for the weight of the assembly when it comes off the shaft - you don't want it swinging down into the radiator. The fan blade is held onto the fan clutch with four bolts, watch the torque values carefully, they should only be torqued to 15-18 ft/lbs as the fan clutch hubs are aluminium - so don't strip it.

Important, don't forget to remove the 13mm socket from it's pulley lock position before you try and start the engine!!!!

I'll need to look for the fan shroud mod, but you can do that as well by just using the search function - on here or on LOST.

Last edited by glend; 08-09-2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-09-2012
Established Member

Great advice! Thanks. Should have my new fan clutch in about 10 days.
Old 08-09-2012
AJOR Silver

I should have added that the bolt I used to look the pulley is in about the 3 o'clock position behind the pulley. There are other bolts back there used to mount the pulley bracket to the block but the 3 o'clock one is the easiest to get to from the right side of the engine reaching down behind the fan.
Old 23-09-2012
Established Member

[QUOTE=glend;1314532]Beagle, you'll need to lock the fan pulley in order to loosen off the big nut that holds the fan and fan clutch onto the pulley. I don't use any special tools (although they are around and some people choose to make their own). I use a method that is suggested in the timing belt change procedure that I posted a couple of months back, which is:

You'll need a big shifter that can adjust to go over the 36mm nut on the fan pulley. Put the shifter on the nut and rotate the pulley clockwise until one of the holes in the pulley line up with the bolt head underneath the pulley. When you have that lined up just slip a 13mm socket onto the bolt head down in that hole. Back the shifter anti-clockwise until the pulley locks against the 13mm socket that is sticking out of the pulley hole. You can now continue to pressure the nut anti-clockwise to break it loose and undo it from the shaft. I find that tapping (anti-clockwise) the shifter handle with a small sledge that I have is good for getting it started. The nut doesn't seem to come loose easily and you'll need to use the shifter to move it until just befoer it lets go of the treads. Make sure you have a good hold of the fan and are ready for the weight of the assembly when it comes off the shaft - you don't want it swinging down into the radiator. The fan blade is held onto the fan clutch with four bolts, watch the torque values carefully, they should only be torqued to 15-18 ft/lbs as the fan clutch hubs are aluminium - so don't strip it.

Important, don't forget to remove the 13mm socket from it's pulley lock position before you try and start the engine!!!!

Fantastic help thanks Glen. The hint on the 13mm socket to hold the pulley was a life saver!
Fitted the new clutch unit today. Very happy, no longer sounds like a 747 when you take off at the lights!
I too ordered the Hayden 2905 from Summit in the US. $95- AUD and only took about 10 days to arrive.
Cheers, Beagle.