Birdsville - how long to get there? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > LOCATIONS | EVENTS | TRIPS > Wheres the best spots to drive?
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Birdsville - how long to get there?

Hi all,

Were planning a 9000km loop trip next year through Flinders Ranges, SA Deserts, Red Centre and Outback QLD.

Part of the trip has us travelling from Mt Isa down to Birdsville via the Diamantina Developmental Road. A couple of days later we travel from Birdsville to Longreach via the Birdsville Developmental Road. Each of those legs is around 700km and we'll be there early in July.

Does anyone know how long should I expect those legs to take in travel time? Obviously conditions on the day would be a big influence, but what's an approximate average?
Old 12-09-2012
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Ive done that trip from Isa twice now. Easy as, first section to Boulia is bitumem (sometimes narrow) 100kmh most of the way.
Boulia-Bedourie is part and part, also easy.
Into Birdsville is dirt (although on the last trip it looked like they were starting to make sections of the road, or at least upgrade it substantially).

Its an easy drive, with a stop here and there should do the 700kms in 8 hours.

East from Birdsville is also easy. Most of the roads were graded into something approaching dirt landing strips (ie wide and flat and very well groomed) just prior to the races 2 weeks ago.

about 5 weeks ago I rode a dirt bike along the Diamantina Dev Rd from the Cordillo Rd into Birdsville, and didnt drop under.....um....... 7000rpm once

These outback roads are no more difficult that a dirt road 100kms from a major city...... sure, the conditions may change from time to time, and they are subject to closure after rain etc. Yes, they are 'remote' but on most of the major ones youd find a car will pass at least every hour, esp during mid year when its cooler and the tourists are out there.
Old 12-09-2012
RubiconSlammer

What Jeep do I drive?: ZJ
Liked 281 Times in 182 Posts

When you are cruising at 100km/h your average speed works out at 80km/h as you slow down for towns etc. 800km divide by 80km/h = 10hrs.
I've won many a competition in guessing ETA using that formula.
Old 12-09-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billnick View Post
When you are cruising at 100km/h your average speed works out at 80km/h as you slow down for towns etc. 800km divide by 80km/h = 10hrs.
I've won many a competition in guessing ETA using that formula.
Agree. Trying to do 700km in a day on dirt roads can be quite tiring. I try to stick to about 400-500km a day which allows time to get out asnd have a look and a walk around. I usually only average 75-80k/hr with all the different road surfaces and quality that you have to deal with. 100km/hr on a dirt road... you r just asking for trouble in my opinion. Even more so if u r loaded up and/or pulling a trailer. Also your fuel use will increase by 20% @100 km/hr compared to 80-85 km/hr. Why hurry?
Old 12-09-2012
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Uh-huh.

Apparently sitting on anyone over 80 on THIS type of road is asking for trouble?
Have you been there?
Old 12-09-2012
Established Member

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks guys.

In the planning, I've tried to limit our day driving to no more than 500km/day. There are some days we will only do 50kms as we look around. But there are some days, 6 all up, with 700kms - 800kms, just because there's not much in between stops. Across the 4 weeks, we will average a bit over 300km/day.

The other thing I need to take into account is during that time of year, we have the shortest amount of daylight hours, only about 10 hours of light per day.

I can cope with 8-9 hours. I just dont want to be averaging 60km/h over that sort of distance. So I'll have to come up with a plan B in case conditions are against us.
Old 12-09-2012
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 547 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richo View Post
Uh-huh.

Apparently sitting on anyone over 80 on THIS type of road is asking for trouble?
Have you been there?

YEP! more than once.
Post New Thread  Reply