Tow Bar possibilities? - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > KK Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 26-10-2012
Senior Newbie

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Tow Bar possibilities?

Hey all,

I am wanting to get a tow bar fitted to my Jeep. Dealer quote was $594 for the package +$228 for the special wiring to suit KK with reverse sensors + $337 for installation (total $1159). I didn't ask, but i'm guessing it's the genuine part.

vs

TJM quote $670 fitted for 2,270kg Hayman Reese bar.

My questions are:
Do any of you guys have a Hayman Reese bar?
Any conflicts with the product at the reverse sensors?
Should I just fork out the extra $489 to get the genuine product?

Greatly appreciated for those answering my questions

2011 JKU-D

TJM Lift
33" BGF KM2 MT
Jeep Genuine Bar work
AEV 2nd Gen Snorkel
Old 26-10-2012
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: KK
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I've just been through the tow bar process as I'm buying a KK at the moment. Dealer quoted $1050 all up - and they do use Hayman Reese hitches (that is their 'genuine part'). Think they said their list price is around $1350. I've managed to get another few $$$ off that price, as I said it is still well over the top of what others are quoting (and they know it).

Most other quotes I had were also for Hayman Reese hitches, and were more like $700 installed. So the dealer price is more, but for me it's easier to get it done before the vehicle is delivered.

Can't help re the reverse sensors, but I'd say there shouldn't be any issues. It wouldn't be rocket science to move a couple of wires if they had too. Also thought the hitch would attach and sit lower and not interfere... but those that already have it done would be a better source for info than me.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 26-10-2012
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursechocolate View Post
Hey all,

I am wanting to get a tow bar fitted to my Jeep. Dealer quote was $594 for the package +$228 for the special wiring to suit KK with reverse sensors + $337 for installation (total $1159). I didn't ask, but i'm guessing it's the genuine part.

vs

TJM quote $670 fitted for 2,270kg Hayman Reese bar.

My questions are:
Do any of you guys have a Hayman Reese bar?
Any conflicts with the product at the reverse sensors?
Should I just fork out the extra $489 to get the genuine product?
key
Greatly appreciated for those answering my questions
Hi
That price from the dealer seems a bit steep I got my Towing pack which included the window sheilds and bonnet protector for $1050 all Mopar parts, this was in Feburary when I got my KK You also get a Jeep bag that has a lot of stuff in it Like Tourch Flouro vest Booster Cables Tow rope with hooks gloves and colapsible triangle
The tow bar will not clash with the sensors however if you intend to put a keyed locking pin in you had best buy it first and then ask the dealer to fit it for you as the electrical harness bracket needs to be bent down a bit to enable the pin to go in and as it is only welded on one side I would hate to see you brake it trying to fit the keyed locking pin yourself

Hope I Helped

Oh yes enjoy your new ride you will not regret it I have just clocked up 14000 in mine without any worries and I have taken it off road without any issues the only limitations are all in the head of the driver not the car

Last edited by wally1; 26-10-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 26-10-2012
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not speaking from a jeep point of view but most reversing sensors will turn off as soon as a trailer plug is attached into the socket on the car.
Old 26-10-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Nursechocolate,

I Had the genuine tow bar fitted on the 31/08 this year, it cost $539.84 for the kit plus $240.00 for fitting + GST, so just a shade under $860.00. The wiring kit is designed to work with the reversing sensors and is included, all KK's have reversing sensors don't they?. I think someone is trying to take you for a ride.
Old 27-10-2012
AJOR Silver

Liked 110 Times in 80 Posts

I personally can't see what the reverse sensors have to do with the tow bar? I've had the Mopar unit from new and it's tucked well out of the way below the sensors. My sensors only trigger when I'm towing a trailer and reversing or if I'm about to hit an obstacle. I could deactivate it near the gear lever but prefer not to should I forget the trailer is there. Btw, mine was just around $400 at the time.
Old 27-10-2012
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I paid $750 installed for a "MOPAR" towbar on the KK. I researched it at the time and found the Hayman Reese did not tuck up under the back of the car as far as the MOPAR (HR towbar hung down about 50mm further than the MOPAR)
Post New Thread  Reply