A/C Vent Selector Problem Guide - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > TJ Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 21-01-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: YJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default A/C Vent Selector Problem Guide

Jepp Wrangler TJ 1997
G'day, went for a cruise with a couple of Jeeps to Watalgan, and I got to have a ride in Kingofsideways modded Jeep (very nice), he had his aircon blasting - it working really good. My Jeep had a problem with only working on defrost and not the dash or feet vents. So I had my A/C off and the windows down, sweating (because it was nice warm day).
This motivated me to fix it after we got back home, I started to rip out the centre console aircon.
My thoughts:
1: The Vacuum Actuator vent door arm leavers were broken or,
2: Broken or cracked Vacuum Actuator harness pipes or,
3: Faulty selector control panel or,
4: Blocked or dirty Vacuum Actuator harness pipes.

First I checked the Vacuum Actuator vent door arm leavers, under the drivers seat on the right on your back. The frame is a pain in your back literally (I read on another website that you can take the drivers side seat out and have a look that way) but I was only having a quick look to see if they were all good.

They were fine, nothing wrong with them , unlike this one from another website:

Next I pulled out the selector control panel, and had a look behind it to find that the Vacuum Actuator harness pipes were not even connected, they were hidden behind the glove box (prev owner must of put them there ).

So I connected them up to the selector control panel and started the engine, but no cigar, the actuators needed assistance to open the vents, when they were pushed in manual with the engine going they would slowly come back out = A leak in the Vacuum Actuator harness No 1 thought. I pulled it out of the selector control panel to find which one was the vacuum tube, the black one.

I followed it through the dash into the bonnet to the manifold connected to a T piece.

With the engine running I could hear a sucking/hissing sound looking at the manifold.

I felt along all the connectors and tubes to feel if there were any leaks, even the one that connects to the brake cylinder res. BINGO, found the problem, the black tube connector that supplies the Vacuum to the actuators was responsible, so I disconnected it.

Flipped it over and found this:

A nice big hole worn into the tube. So I blocked it up with electric tape , connected the Vacuum Actuator harness to the Selector control panel and started the aircon, woohoo it works!

This it just a temp fix of course, I will buy a new connector and tube.

I hope this guide will help someone in getting their aircon working!
Cobraruss Out....

Last edited by Cobraruss; 21-01-2013 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Formatting
Old 21-01-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Great bit of info mate. My vents have only been blowing through the defrost for a long time, one day I will get around to fixing it. My Vacuum Actuator vent door arm leavers are broken but there could be more to it than that.

Cheers
Old 22-01-2013
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is great! I've had the same issue for a long time. Hope the setup looks the same behind my dash as I have an 05?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 23-01-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: YJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

G'day Brad,
I did a quick search and it looks like it is same as the 97 the only thing that is different is the selector control panel, mine is a slider selector and yours would be a knob that dials. Look under the bonnet first to save time then pull apart the console, because it will save time as you don't have to remove anything first. I should have put that suggestion in the first post.
Thanks mika, hope you get them fixed and there is no other problem, on a other website some just put a roofing screw trough their Actuator arm for a quick fix, I think it was a American jeep website.
Old 18-02-2013
Established Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey mate, thanks so much for this article. finally got around to looking at this and took your advice and worked backwards, the pipe wasn't even connected at your second last picture. Sadly for me this was after I'd already bought a whole second hand fan control unit. Ohwell

But at least I have a functioning fun control now !!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Post New Thread  Reply