looking for help in replacing WJ rear retainer bushing and seal - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-03-2013
I just registered

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default looking for help in replacing WJ rear retainer bushing and seal

Has anybody replaced the WJ rear retainer bushing and seal on the NV247. Have spent days looking through threads but can't find any info.
I am having problems finding the seals and no luck with the bushing, not even sure what the bushing looks like, only read about it in the manual. Also is it better to buy mopar seal or would any brand do?
Hope someone can help.
Old 08-03-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

Have had a look at the parts list and have found Output Shaft Seal for NP247 4897298AA at wholesalemopar for $17 as for the bush I will have to have a look at the w/shop manual but I don't think you want to go there as the one I found is $80, and would require you to drop crack the case open.
Haven't done one myself, so hopefully someone here can give better pointers, just check that the breather isn't clogged and causing the seal to weep.
You can also try a bearing shop for the seal they would probably have a listing, my local has seals and bearings for the Jeep, doesn't have to be Mopar.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 08-03-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,358 Posts

Had a look at the manual and replacing the seal looks like the usual, you should be able to pick it out in situ, but be very carefull with the alloy housing, so long as your careful shouldn't be a big hassle, tap the new one in with a big socket, the bush you were talking about pretty sure thats a crack it open job. Have a look make sure the shaft hasn't got rust or crap that screwing the seal. Always buy 2 seals just in case.

Your Never Too Old To Learn Something Stupid.
Old 09-03-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks drover. Will do as you suggest will leave that bushing alone and buy a couple of seals, will check the breather but will have to look at the manual to see where it is. cheers
Old 09-03-2013
Rock Munki

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

I've bought parts from this crew:

http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...x&cPath=3_2100

if you have a petrol GC you should be good to go with anything they have. I have a two seals here if you want them as I'm not likely to use them.

Diesel TC rear is the same as the front output seal.

The rear seal should be removable once you pull the drive shaft. Typically you can drill a hole then use a slide hammer to extract it.

HTH,

Jason
Old 09-03-2013
SwampDigger

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Breather goes to drivers side of engine bellhousing top bolt.
Bush can be done in situ but is a bit triky, it needs to be collapsed in on itself then can be pulled out with locking pliers.
This is pretty common setup.
Prob only needs seal unless its done a lot of kays. Check by wiggling shaft up and down, should be only minimal movement.
Old 09-03-2013
I just registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Jason for info I am interested in the seals, let me know how to go about getting them............... also Turbomart will only do the seal at present, had a look for the breather, have a bracket on the drivers side bell housing with like a rubber bush encased in metal with about 1/4 metal tube the open end facing backwards it goes through the bush towards the front then bends back around, there is no hose and the pipe is full of dirt would this be part of the breather pipe? thanks
Post New Thread  Reply