2003 Grand Limited control arms front and rear - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > ZJ WJ WG Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 31-03-2013
AJOR Bronze

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2003 Grand Limited control arms front and rear

Hi All,

I am looking to replace the front and rear control arms as the bushes are a little worse for wear.

The car is a little floaty but not too bad.. just makes you drive it I guess is the way to describe the way it handles.

I had my old XJ done with parts from the US and it seemed a better idea to upgrade from original to a bar type set up with that car.

I am looking for advice as to where to get a replacement set and some info on if I can just unbolt and bolt up the new ones without too much trouble. I had the XJ's done by my mechanic but I am getting gamer these days.

the car has a 45mm lift

cheers,
Old 31-03-2013
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

I have adjustable front upper & lower set from here http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFW on my XJ for a couple of years now. They use the factory bushes for ease of changing as well. Very easy to deal with and delivered in just over a week.
Old 31-03-2013
AJOR Bronze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I have emailed them just now.

so can I simply put the car on stands and remove the old ones or does everything go pearshaped when you take the bolts out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
I have adjustable front upper & lower set from here http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFW on my XJ for a couple of years now. They use the factory bushes for ease of changing as well. Very easy to deal with and delivered in just over a week.
Old 31-03-2013
AJOR Silver

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 125 Times in 99 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Yep I did them 1 at a time with no real probs. just leave all the bolts loose until you have replaced all 4 at each end then tighten them up.
Old 01-04-2013
No Winching

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 301 Times in 244 Posts

Yeah same as big dave said. Not hard at all. I've got adjustable upper and lower fronts from IRO and JKS adjustable rears. Take one off and set your length based on that, match the length for both new ones and good to go. You could extend them a little but at 45mm lift you probably don't want much more than 6-8mm so hardly worth it. If you do lengthen you won't be able to do one side at a time as easy.
Old 01-04-2013
Rock Munki

Liked 300 Times in 245 Posts

I have the IRO bars on the front of mine which I'm pretty happy with, rear is standard as I didn't see the need to add adjustment.

I would lengthen the bottom arms to make sure your caster angles are within spec. I'd actually suggest you get your caster measured before you start and if you are below 4 degrees I'd lengthen the bottom arms to positively increase the caster.

I't is probably safe to lengthen the top by 5mm and the bottom up to 10mm as a starting point.

FWIW mine is at just under 4 degrees and drives pretty well but it doesn't self-center as well as it should IMHO. When I'm not so lazy I'll be lengthening my lower arms to see what difference it makes.
Old 01-04-2013
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: WJ
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Ive got IRO ones top and bottom front and lower rear. Definately good quality and use same rubber bushes as xj , tj and zj use.
I reckon if your bushes are flogged you may as well go adjustable because the stock oval bushes are not available seperately, you have to buy whole arm anyway. The adjustment comes in handy to fix any alignment issues or driveline angles.