2 - 2.5" lift requirements - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > JK Wrangler Australia
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 16-04-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default 2 - 2.5" lift requirements

The time has come to finally get rid of the Mopar lift and put in something which is a bit softer then the current concrete slab.

Looking at staying at 2 - 2.5inches of lift so what do I really need. I know there are a lot of options but want to know what would the basics be?

Currently looking at:
Springs
Shocks
Bumpstops
Swaybar disconnects
Steering dampener relocation

I've been tiold for that much lift the brake lines should be ok. Do I need to consider anything else?
Old 16-04-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rear track bar drop braket, stock wheels could rub if not used add that to ure list
Old 16-04-2013
Established Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rj_jk View Post
The time has come to finally get rid of the Mopar lift and put in something which is a bit softer then the current concrete slab.

Looking at staying at 2 - 2.5inches of lift so what do I really need. I know there are a lot of options but want to know what would the basics be?

Currently looking at:
Springs
Shocks
Bumpstops
Swaybar disconnects
Steering dampener relocation

I've been tiold for that much lift the brake lines should be ok. Do I need to consider anything else?
Most of your kits will come with brake line extenders but not diff/trans/tcase breather extenders (depending on your driving you may want to) Steering stabilizer flip is best thing I ever did after wiping out the stock one on a couple of occasions, quick disconnects are also invaluable off road I have terraflex quick disconns married with a AEV lift 2.5" and AEV drop brackets that way all my camber/caster remains as factory, gives a really nice ride. Most kits you will find consist of springs, shocks, bump stop extenders rear drop bracket and brake line extenders.
Old 16-04-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Here ya go mate. As mentioned above, the breather hoses could do with extending. You will at least have to slide them down a little or at full droop they will disconnect themselves. You will need to drop or extend the rear brake lines, they will be too tight with 25in shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaComms View Post
Havent updated my setup for a while and just finished typing all this in another thread so though I would copy it to here for posterity!

This is my current setup with breakdown of costs. I did not do this all in one hit though, mods history below the list!!
  • Suspension Stuff 2.5in lift Flexy Springs - $600 (I got one of the last sets at the old price, now $750)
  • Bilstien 5100 25in shocks - $350 + $100 freight roughly (from Quadratec, bout $600 locally)
  • Front and rear Poly sway bar links - $245 for the lot
  • Front Poly sway bar disconnect kit - $105
  • Poly front track bar - $350
  • Teraflex rear track bar axle mount - $145
  • Poly Steering Damper relocation - $190 including tie rod clamp
  • AEV Drop brackets - $99 (from Quadratec + freight, bout $147 locally from memory)
  • Home made rear brake line drop brackets - $0 scrap strip of aluminium
  • Home made 1.5in front and 1in rear bump stop extensions - $19 for the chopping board, $10 for a set of down light hole saws (3in was required), $69 for the 350 watt 5 speed belt drive drill press from SupaCheap on special!!

Started with just the Mopar springs. 5,000km later replaced them with a second hand set of Rubicon Express 3in springs, shocks and rear sway bar links, moving the stock rear links to the front plus added the home made rear brake line bracket extensions. A few months later added the front and rear Poly sway bar links and disconnects and the poly front track bar. Then the rear Teraflex bracket.

Last effort about 40,000km later was the new Flexy springs, Bilstiens and the home made bump stop extensions.

This should do it for now, happy with the ride and now saving up for some decent tyres!!

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 16-04-2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old 16-04-2013
westside wheeler

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default 2 - 2.5" lift requirements

2.5 flexy coils what shock length you chose 25...or 27 other?
Old 17-04-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Cheers guys, time to start sourcing some parts.
Old 17-04-2013
MonsterMoose

What Jeep do I drive?: WK2
Liked 809 Times in 466 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian View Post
2.5 flexy coils what shock length you chose 25...or 27 other?
Hey Ian, I went with 25's, I reckon they could take up to about 29in shocks before they start to unseat. The 27's are apparently a popular choice, but required additional bump stops and will require new front drive shaft not to far into the future.

With the 25's I find when driving diagonally into a gully it will drop to full extension waaaay before compressing. I had one wheel up an embankment a while ago and got out for a look to find front and rears fully extended but the opposite front and rears still 1 to 2 inches away from the soft bump, and that was with 1.5in bump stop extensions in the front that are not needed for the shock. Thinking now I might put in some front shock relocation/extension brackets to move the lower connection point up and out to avoid rubbing the chassis and give it some more droop since it looks like it can. Just means the front shaft will need replacing quicker!

2010 JK, then a 2015 KL Trailhawk, now a 2017 GC Trailhawk!

Over 5000 Club

Last edited by SeaComms; 17-04-2013 at 04:50 PM.
Post New Thread  Reply