service 4WD sytem on evic 06 WH CRD - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > JEEP GARAGE > XH Commander and WH Grand Cherokee
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 20-04-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: WH
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default service 4WD sytem on evic 06 WH CRD

Hi all I knew it was going to well

This morning I hopped into the GC to take it down to get it washed when I started it I got a message on the display service 4WD system

While at the wash I looked up on google and there was a post about it on this forum but when I got home and looked on my home pc I couldn't find it so decided to start another

While reading the other post it I read someone said activate low range and drive it around slowly like that made no difference

I also plugged my diagnostic tool in and no fault codes GC drives like it always did

I also read the ABS sensors could be the culprit but I replaced all 4 of them 2 months ago when I did the electroplate and service on the gearbox

I am at a loss its come up a couple of times now and its got me worried as I want to drive to Melbourne next week and don't want to be stuck somewhere because of it I also don't want to do any damage that will cost me more in the end

Any ideas pointers hints or the like would be appreciated like I said its been code free for to long (LOL)
Old 20-04-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts

I have had that "service 4 wheel drive warning" and found it went away after a while....only to come back at more regular intervals. eventually putting it into limp mode after about 3 months and 4 times the warning reappearing.

See if you can delete the warning by disconnect the battery for a couple minutes and see if it comes back with a code. (Thats the only way I could get rid of the air bag warning which is now fixed)
Does your code reader get into all the modules like the TCM?

If it comes back like mine did ....with codes, I ended up replacing the transfer case motor and TCM but the DTC told me to replace those bits and no problems since.Or could have been the battery that I replaced at the same time ...who knows , but having it stuck in limp mode forced me to fix other codes as well like glow plugs, take the LED lights out etc.

Last edited by hotqld; 20-04-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 20-04-2013
Full Flexer

Liked 130 Times in 96 Posts

It's worth a shot cleaning/tightening/jiggling as many electrical connectors you can get access to for the drive-train... if you get lucky it's a quick & easy fix.

I've had that error twice; once was fixed by cleaning & tightening the QDII connector for the rear diff, other time was the connector for the transfer case motor.
Old 20-04-2013
AJOR Gold

Liked 44 Times in 37 Posts

The first time it came up on mine it was because I had accidentally lifted the low range switch whilst cleaning the interior and it is trying to engage low range whilst stationery, it tries for so long then gives up and throws up the "service 4 wheel drive system" light, just kept driving as normal 'till next service and they reset it, another time it came on for no apparent reason and as I was near the service centre just called in and they reset it again in 5 minutes, no charge.
Old 20-04-2013
Irok Bandit

What Jeep do I drive?: JT
Liked 1,190 Times in 789 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

The "service 4wd system" started to come on in my 2006 WH CRD September last year.
Tried all the tips on the forum and thought I solved it but no luck.

I have since changed the battery and the "service 4wd system" has not come on once (about 4 months now).

My battery was only 720cca (& about 3 years old) which was to small for the CRD, the new one has over 900cca and 75ah.
Now even the head lights are brighter.
Old 20-04-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts

Thanks guys for the quick answers
I knew it was to good to be true no fault codes or problems for 2 months LOL

The battery is still under warranty and is a gigantic mother I will try and spray the connectors under the car with with contact cleaner

I might have pulled the Low range switch by accident so that is a possibility when I was getting stuff out of the car to take it to get cleaned

my code reader does not get into the tcm module normally its been able to retrieve all the codes except when I had the cruise control switching of occasionally CRD STU had just had the same problem and he told me the abs sensors so I replaced all of them

I might give the dealer a call on Monday see what they say not holding my breath they told me that you could only have 2 keys for the car coded had to ring head office to get the truth for that one
First thing tomorrow Ill disconnect the battery see what that does
Old 21-04-2013
Senior Newbie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mine has suffered the same issues for 4 years, mainly started when I was towing the van.
Had a ABS sensor replaced last time (this was after the light came on then all hell broke lose every light came on).
Worked well for a while then yerp again with the light but this time was different, I had a binding of the front axle and it let go with a bang..no damage but scary stuff. I let it go and about 4 months latter when driving back from hols I turned a sharp corner I could hear the front end binding drove a 100 M and once again bang.
Anyways I had to go back to the Jeep blokes and get them to reset the service meter (after they forgot too after the service sh^t happens I guess)
After I explained what had happened and happening he said he recons he knows what it is, there's a steering wheel position sensor this doesn't show any error codes when it fails or is out of sync, this is why the service 4wd never seems to be never fixed.(my case it seems)
He programed or changed a program and so far I don't hear the binding nor have had the service light come on again. This seems to be a very recent TSB/fix as he had to look to see if they had received the fix.
Its taken nearly 4 years to have this fixed, guess you cant rush progress eh
Also I have noticed the car seem to drive more smooth when cornering and cant say if its related but fuel economy has improved but its early days.
regards
John
PS The last service the same mob said the H/L indictor switch was to blame...how much to replace ....$1100 !!!.... I said um no thanks lucky I did I guess.

Last edited by freshwater; 21-04-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Post New Thread  Reply