Cost of Engineering certificate - AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand

Go Back   AUSJEEPOFFROAD.COM Jeep News Australia and New Zealand > GENERAL > General Jeep Chat
Register Forums Trading Your Jeep My Garage Mark All Read

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 28-05-2013
CrawlerStar

What Jeep do I drive?: XJ
Liked 75 Times in 44 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)
Default Cost of Engineering certificate

Hi all,

Well I've decided that SA really is a total nanny state!

Just got off the phone to an auto engineer here in adelaide and i've been told the MAX increase in tyre is 15mm OD ?! which basically means I can only go to a 235/75 R15 for my XJ Sport (9 and a 2in lift tops.

So I asked about the cost of getting an engineers certificate etc so I could possible go upto and get a 3.5in lift and 31in tyres and was quoted about $2.5k.
Well that is almost half my total build costs and makes it prohibitively expensive to go any bigger than a very modest lift.

So how do you guys go with engineering your lovely looking rigs?
9000lb Winch
Old 28-05-2013
Banned

What Jeep do I drive?: JK
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Im tipping 99% are not engineered just like me
Old 28-05-2013
SwampDigger

What Jeep do I drive?: TJ
Liked 34 Times in 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrax573 View Post
Hi all,

Well I've decided that SA really is a total nanny state!

Just got off the phone to an auto engineer here in adelaide and i've been told the MAX increase in tyre is 15mm OD ?! which basically means I can only go to a 235/75 R15 for my XJ Sport (9 and a 2in lift tops.

So I asked about the cost of getting an engineers certificate etc so I could possible go upto and get a 3.5in lift and 31in tyres and was quoted about $2.5k.
Well that is almost half my total build costs and makes it prohibitively expensive to go any bigger than a very modest lift.

So how do you guys go with engineering your lovely looking rigs?
We don't.
Some of us like living on the edge.
Old 28-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Liked 26 Times in 24 Posts

I am in victoria and have only just finished engineering my cj7. I engineered a 350 chev engine swap and a front shackle reversal and a 2 inch lift (well thats what we said the lift is) that all cost me $300 for first visit, which he was very pleased with the work done so next visit and engineered plate cost $600 so all up $900. Now in saying that it took a hundred phone calls to find a bloke who does 4x4's, and even over the phone he said it would cost more but when he seen the rig and work it got cheaper. Also once you go over 50mm in lift (2 inchs) you need to do a lane change test which has to be done on a race track (prior they could be done on quiet roads) this ups the price, my only race track which was a 1 1/2 hour drive would cost $5000 to hire the track for the day to do the 2 hour test. Thats where the cost comes in. My jeep really has a 5 inch lift even before tyres and tyres count as a lift so I engineered with stock tyres 215/75/15 (29") and now run 32's which means by law thats another 3 inch lift. as you can see it gets messy
Old 29-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

So bascially every modified 4x4 I see on the roads are pretty much illegal now unless they spend a shit load getting it engineered?!

How do you guys go with insurance and shit if your jeeps aren't engineered?

I guess it's a good thing that they are so capable stock then.
9000lb Winch
Old 29-05-2013
Full Flexer

What Jeep do I drive?: WG
Liked 342 Times in 221 Posts
Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madrax573 View Post
So bascially every modified 4x4 I see on the roads are pretty much illegal now unless they spend a shit load getting it engineered?!

How do you guys go with insurance and shit if your jeeps aren't engineered?

I guess it's a good thing that they are so capable stock then.
A lot of the 4x4's punting around with high lift and tyres etc are fully insured on paper, they have policies without the mods listed. The key is to pretend your vehicle is uninsured, drive it with that in mind and expect the worst if you do bend it. If you do end up claiming successfully you had a win.

One tip is to have a very good panel shop contact, in the trade. One that deals with your claim for you. Look after them.

Oh, and never have a real bad bingle where someone gets seriously hurt and there is an investigation.

Last edited by Hoobz; 29-05-2013 at 09:46 AM.
Old 29-05-2013
CrawlerStar

Check out my Ride(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoobz View Post
A lot of the 4x4's punting around with high lift and tyres etc are fully insured on paper, they have policies without the mods listed. The key is to pretend your vehicle is uninsured, drive it with that in mind and expect the worst if you do bend it. If you do end up claiming successfully you had a win.

One tip is to have a very good panel shop contact, in the trade. One that deals with your claim for you. Look after them.

Oh, and never have a real bad bingle where someone gets seriously hurt and there is an investigation.
Yeah this is all well and good but doesn't acount for 'the other guys' on the road. You can do all you want and get screwed over by some twit not paying attention.

Ah well I guess OME suspension and 235/75 R15's is the max I am going for now unless I want to pretty much add another 50% to my build costs
Or
Upgrade to a bigger vehicle (which blows out my costs too much anyways) and I like my XJ
9000lb Winch
Post New Thread  Reply